News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

PINSTRIPING

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-09-19 17:38

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

I have a real good friend  that does custom pin striping and lettering that I have known for over 40 years that I had asked a while back if he could stripe my '39. Well last night he called me and said he wanted to come down and check out my car and while here, he would stripe it for me, so I was ecstatic! This guy has several six figure real, deal hot rods; I mean stuff that was on the cover of Hot Rod magazine in the 50's. He has had cars at Pebble Beach Concourse and said he wanted to see my rides!

So he showed up first thing this morning and crawls all over it and is amazed, so I'm stoked when he tells me "I stole the phuckin thing". Anyways, we get down to talking colors and the car doesn't need to make a statement with stripes and that it should be subtle; I said I agreed and wanted something close to the color, almost "ghost stripes". He concurs and starts mixing colors and dabs them on the car until we both agree on the result. He then lays down this super fine line free hand over the car and I am still amazed after 40 years of him doing my work.

These pics were taken inside, so the color really does it no justice, so I will take some tomorrow in the sun. I also had him do some fancy scroll work on the deck lid that I will show tomorrow as it is barley noticeable in the garage, what you see, is mostly grease pencil for center line and width. I'll wash it off and take a pic in the sun.

Here is the super fine and extremely subtle line he laid down"

Even carried it over the door hinge, all free hand:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

Nothing better imho than subtle stripping. Very impressive. The man has an abundance of talent.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

I'm sure some of you are familiar with Kenneth Robert Howard (Kenny Howard), a/k/a Von Dutch, known as the father of the modern pin striping.  He started striping bikes and then moved on to Hot Rods.  One of his most famous designs was known as the "flying eyeball" and has been seen, in different variations, on thousands of rods over the years.

Here is a pic of Von Dutch with his design and his work:

This has been used (and abused) by many artist over the years and a lot of the "purists' have let it be known as seen in the T-shirt design below:

I have always been a fan and wanted to "spin" off of the original design and had this done on my dash as a kind of cool tribute to the original:

....and here is a pic of "The Man" at work:

Nothing short of amazing, at least to me.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

djfordmanjack

sweet !
Joe, you'd be amazed to learn, that there is a von Dutch striped A rdstr just a few miles from your place....just ask a Euro guy....  :003:

I have been into Pinstriping ever since I got interested in US cars. Here's one I did in 3 colors ( red white black) on the rear door glass of my 64 Transit van. I don't have a better pic unfortunately.

CobraJoe

Very nice. I could literally watch someone do that all day.  :002:

mustang6984

We all knew you stole the phucking thing"! LOL!!! Nice job on that move!

The stripe job looks slick. I agree with you both that the subtle stripe does a much better job of highlighting the curves! Congrats!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Thanks Hugh, the guy can really do some fine lines, and if you look at the deck striping, you can actually see where he has painted his name in the middle:

CobraJoe

The '57 is nice and subtle also:

From a distance, it's barley noticeable:

djfordmanjack

what about the bird , Joe ????

mustang6984

SWEET! Sweet as simple syrup! Like them both!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-09-20 14:48
what about the bird , Joe ????

I need to do some work on it for a customer, steering and suspension mostly.

alvin stadel

I still miss my 57 Bird, it was fun, quick, and fast, but I'm sure it would still be hard to get in and out of.  Its an age thing, crawl in and fall out.

Jeff Norwell

Joe.. is that Larry Hook?

Beautiful work.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

CobraJoe

Yes it is, Larry is a good friend of mine who has been doing my work forever. I hadn't seen him in awhile, so when he called and said he wanted to come down, well.... it was just nice to spend the day with him; he is truly gifted/talented.