News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

51 or 52 Victoria 3 piece rear glass install tips.

Started by brushwolf, 2021-05-25 05:57

Previous topic - Next topic

brushwolf

I have a 51 Victoria here in which I need to install the 3 piece rear glass. Anyone ever installed on of those or similar early 50's 3 piece rear glass?

It has stainless trim that fits in gasket, so I am thinking in that way it is similar to say, a 57 Ford windshield with stainless. But, the 3 pieces of glass at once is another matter. Do they all go in at once with windows and trim all on the gasket, or what?

Have done a bunch of internet searches and found nothing. Also posted the question on Ford Barn and HAMB, got lots views but no answers. So, thought I would toss it out here on the off chance that someone here may have installed similar multi-piece glass and trim.

Pic attached is off an internet ad of a much nicer one that I saved for reference as to how it should look. Just found the last piece of missing curved corner glass and have the gasket, so only thing stopping me is the potential install complexity...

Thanks, Mike
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

RICH MUISE

Can't help ya, but I'm curious if the seal is 3 pieces or one. It would seem that would be a clue to how it's assembled, and if the stainless crosses over seams if it's a 3 piece seal.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

never done one before, but if the top and lower ss trim doesn't have bolt on clips with hex nuts inside car ( like my Lincoln has) and the trim is held in seal groove. you certainly need to install in one piece or you will never be able to slip in the trim afterwards.
fwiw. on a 57 Sedan Delivery, the seals AND the trim pieces are all seperate and will install one piece at a time. But on the SD the window 'split' posts are a solid welded part of the tailgate frame.