News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

not too good road trip

Started by RICH MUISE, 2021-08-30 09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

it could have been worse I guess. At least it was summer temps. Haha, read a report this morning from New Mexico. For the first time in 18 years, they are officially out of their drought!
Jim said: "Your car should have only stopped if it was the ground cable. With an alternator or generator you can totally remove the positive cable with the car running and it should remain running."
I've been thinking about this, and you may be right, but I'm not sure what happened with my car. I'm using a 4 post Optima battery (almost new), the side terminal is only for the starter and alternator. That's the one that came loose. The top post I use to feed everything else, including the computer. It was still tight, and the battery was not dead, so the mystery is why the engine died when the battery was still charged.  I could understand if the condition went on long enough to discharge the battery, but when starting it cranked the starter hard. confused.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

abe_lugo

Great story.  Sorry it happen to you. All those instances lining up just right for the most in opportune moment.
Maybe next year Third times a charm??!  Sorry had to say it.

Well.  At least you story helps me think of things to check if things go south. 

But don't lets this stop you from going on these long trips.  It's great to read about you driving to the shows.  I mean you had a ton of fun and carefree miles.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

RICH MUISE

Yeah, it's not the long trips, it's the big shows I'm maybe not up to anymore. The real kick though was when I read on the internet this morning that New Mexico is no longer in their 18 year drought. You're welcome! Too funny.
oops...redundant.

Ford Blue blood

Rich the running/not running is most likely associated with the loose ground.  Not knowing how you tied the computer ground to the battery I can only assume to a point......

The computer generates it's own "reference" voltage (typically 5V) to run the entire show.  Every function in the controller uses that 5V.  Most importantly is the computer controls stuff by placing a ground on various relays and solenoids.  Any loose ground in the management system is fully capable of confusing the computer and telling it to stop thinking.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

My bad..I said "side terminal"...........should have said "positive side terminal". I have yet to have a known issue with grounds as my car is wired as though is is fiberglass.........no grounds to body..all grounds are wired.

hiball3985

Rich lets hope all these gremlins that hit you on the trip are behind you. I hope you can find the issue of the engine shutting down. How all this computer stuff works throws me for a loop, I'm too far behind the times and remain in my simple world. I don't understand your comment about "no body grounds". Do you mean none of the computer stuff isn't dependent on body grounds and ground directly to the battery?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Yes, Most of my car is wired grounds thru terminal strips, and back to the battrey. I put the traditional grounding straps in the engine compartment, but only as a backup. It really doesn't have as much to do with the computer system as it does eliminating loss of ground because of rust, loosened screws, etc. I have terminals all over the car that feed the grounds back to the battery eventually. So, no issues with things like tailight housings loosing their connection to the body, etc.
It's a strong recommendation from Ron Francis.

hiball3985

Wiring that way makes perfect sense with the computer controlled parts. Was it the ground cable that was loose when it died?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

No, it was the positive to the starter/alternator.

Wirenut

Well Rich, I hate that you have had so many issues on your road trip to the car shows, but I do enjoying you taking us along with you via your writings. I think that handshake passed on gremlins!
Maybe you'll have better trips ahead.
Thanks for sharing.

mustang6984

HEY! Now wait a minute! I didn't pass on any gremlins. LOL!!! Probably passed on much worse than that! Sheesh! I am still reeling from the $1800.00 repair bill! YIKES!   bawl
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

On the flip side..........it sounded like a LOT of issues, but a loose battery cable and a power window problem. Pretty minor actually just the really really bad timing on both, lol.
Speaking of bad timing..........When I did the Pueblo NSRA show, I talked to the Grundy insurance agent who happens to live in Texas. Hopefully, he will soon be my insurance agent as Grundy is less than half what I've been paying Haggerty. Anyways, saw him again in Alburquerque and he told me he had got an emergency call to get home when he was in Pueblo, and he said he was driving behind me Saturday night in NM....for about a 1/2 hour at 80mph...................oops!

mustang6984

Still have a lot of lead in that right foot eh? LOL!!! Good thing it was in Texas...where they don't watch ya' so much.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

I think that will up your insurance quote, Rich. The guy probably thought you were baby-ing your classic car around like once a week to the donutshop....little did he know ....hahaha :003:

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-09-01 20:31
On the flip side..........it sounded like a LOT of issues, but a loose battery cable and a power window problem. Pretty minor actually just the really really bad timing on both, lol.
Speaking of bad timing..........When I did the Pueblo NSRA show, I talked to the Grundy insurance agent who happens to live in Texas. Hopefully, he will soon be my insurance agent as Grundy is less than half what I've been paying Haggerty. Anyways, saw him again in Alburquerque and he told me he had got an emergency call to get home when he was in Pueblo, and he said he was driving behind me Saturday night in NM....for about a 1/2 hour at 80mph...................oops!

RICH MUISE

He did say he finally did pass me because he was in a hurry. Speaking of insurance, btw
Haggerty for the past 4 years $700+, premium raises every year.last year $777 for 45k coverage (with no towing coverage)
When I was initially with Grundy.......... under$400, and if they take me back, which the agent thinks they will, $379! same coverage