News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Poker Run

Started by alvin stadel, 2021-09-19 11:29

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

Yesterday, my wife, Rose and I had our end of summer poker run. To kind of keep control of who shows up we do invitation only this works out very well. We had a good turn out, very nice day, but got up to 90 with a little wind. I think we traveled about 160 miles round trip. then ended up at our house for a BBQ and a lot of randum bull s--t. We drew our last card a Rick Moore's frame fabrication shop and restoration shop. Some of you may have heard of Rick, he builds frames for guys all across the US and Canada. He has quite a lay out as far as old gas station pumps,  signs, and everything else you can think of. I had a hard time getting some of the guys back on the road and headed for the BBQ. All in all it was a very good day, To me the only down side to this is, every year I see a lot more gray hair, limps, and slower movement from table to chair. One more thing I notice is it dosen't take near as much beer as it used to.   Take care, Alvin

RICH MUISE

Haha..sounds like a great time, but yep, every time I go to a show, I can't help but wonder where our hobby is going to be in 10 or 15 years.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Wish you guys were closer, sounds like it was blast.
In answer to your question Rich, simple answer, there won't be one. You see it already with the muscle cars, the younger generation has little to no interest in them.  SAD.... bawl
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

geraldchainsaw

so true,  I c more of the newer cars then old any more,  1 out of a 100 are the true customs of the 50's,  then u have the restored 50's and up,  after I'm not sure of the year,  but then u can't tell the diff any more  all look the same

hiball3985

A poker run sounds like great fun, god for you doing it. So many of the cars around here are afraid to be driven because they might get a chip in the paint and bring the value down. I believe in driving the wheels off, the true value.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

alvin stadel

Jim you are right, these cars need to be driven.  We normally wait until after Labor  Day to have our run, the highways are  not as busy with tourist travel.  We normally never go over 65 or 70, no need to be in a hurry. At each card stop there is always lots of BS, men and women, just a real layed back atmosphere. My friends and I have talked about this and it reminds us of a time gone by when things were a lot simpler and very little pressure, a time we will never see again. Our runs usually take up most of the day. We left our place around 9:30 and when the BBQ was over it was around 6:00, what a great day and time it was.  Take care,Alvin

hiball3985

Alvin, you are so right. When I drive the 57 I go back in time in my mind to the good old simple days. To me thats another real value. During the Covid shut down there was no traffic and I put more miles and trips then any other year, sometimes I wish they would shut it down again..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

I went to a couple pf sows this year p;us 3 cruise-ins. Lots of newer cars..and then some of the early 60's back to 30's cars. Probably about a 60/40 breakdown of new to old. Sad...and like Alvin said...a time we will never see again.  :-[
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker