News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351W/AOD drive shaft

Started by jimperrin, 2009-05-28 19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

jimperrin

Just got the motor and trans installed and noted the oringinal drive shaft while the front yoke fits the AOD is about 3 1/2 inch short.  What are the options is there a donor car that works or do I have to have the original modified.  Any suggestions are much appriciated.

rockymountaincustom

I installed a TKO 5spd behind a 351w and the drive shaft was too short. You need to stick with the large diameter shaft for the length, and that stuff is expensive. I went to a wrecking yard and got a drive shaft from a pickup. They charged me 50$, and took that to my machinest. He cut it down and replaced one end and balanced it. I ended up with 150$ into a drive shaft, and if you built it from scratch you would be over 500$.

57chero

Im running a 351W with a C4 which is the same spline as the AOD , I ended up using a driveline out of a 91 lincoln towncar it was exactly the perfect length for my application, it may be different for yours depending on where your motor is located and how long your tranny is. Grab a tape measure and head to your local wrecking yard and start measuring, just a heads up you want about 3/4"-1" of the front slip yoke showing from the tail shaft.

57chero

I forgot to mention above if you find one thats to long its a lot cheaper to have it shortend then lenghtend.

jimperrin

Thanks for the info. Ill let you know what I end up doing.  I hate saying "end up", it sounds so terminal.

bagboy

my shaft had to be shortened for my previous install[ 3sp all syncro] . Fit perfect on my AOD.