News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

On the road...again!

Started by mustang6984, 2020-08-30 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Having fun to be sure. Hope the next time I do it, I'll be riding around in a coral pink and white Fairlane 500 from the 50's!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

We made it to Newton Falls OH. Driving in Chicago is like hitting your head against a wall...only feels good when you done!
The construction was bad enough...but at 2 in the afternoon it was like 5 o'clock rush hour!
And some of those people drive like they have nothing above their shoulders. More than an hour to get through the city!
Then there are the toll roads! Nearly $30 into them so far...and not done yet.  >:(
We should be in Milford though by 5 or so. (I'll call tomorrow from the road Joe...) Weather has been pretty decent for the trip. So that is no issue. The crack from yesterday's rock encounter is moving east to west on the windshield...so that is a good thing.
Sasha is happy when we hit rest stops!  :003: She is handling this well...great traveler.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

Chicago rush hour traffic is 24/7.  I have found nothing worth driving through Chicago!  If travel requires going to the other side of Chicago, I go via Des Moines.

Safe travels.

mustang6984

Having driven through there twice, I would tend to agree. Not knowing the area...I had no idea how to go around it. I need to plan my trip out better next time I head to that area to be sure!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Chicago sucks....
Looks like possible rain here tomorrow Hugh, pretty much through Monday. WTF?
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Spent the evening with James and Linda. Great visit. Saw Linda's '63 Galaxie convertible! OH MY! Red with a white lid! So nice! Took pics as well, and when I get back home I will put them up.
Picked up the bumpers and some other items Louis had to sell. Full set of bumpers along with the guards. My Fairlane will look so sweet!
Toll roads can really be annoying! We spent over $25 on them! YIKES!
Heading back Thursday toward Branson. We were going to run up and see Cobra Joe...but Murphy has reared his ugly head and is sending in a nasty weather front, so no go this time. DRATS!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Greetings from Dayton Ohio! Arrived here about30 minutes ago. Only about 9:45 hours to go and we will be back home.
Rain chased us out of CT. and into Ohio. Still drizzling a bit even here in Dayton. I can only imagine how tall my lawn is after 11 days since it was last mowed. UGH!
The engine in the car is really running well...pulling  pretty consistent 20's in the mpg world even at 70-73 mph. Pulled the dipstick earlier today and oil still looks like brand new. She'll be due for an oil change when we get home though.
Should have pics up by Sunday evening.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Well...tied up to the home hitching post about 2 hours ago. Showed Bob around the property and the changes. He had no idea about the new road leading to the house, new floor, new driveway, new pad for the new shop, the new lean-to going in behind the current shop, the removal of dangerous trees near the house, the new handrails on the ramp to the deck or the new paint job on the deck. Also no idea about the wife's rock garden, or the moving of his car and my wife's RX-7 to covered storage in the back of the house, or that the house has been recently leveled.
That'll teach him to leave home for 11 months! :003:
The last leg of the drive was very uneventful. Clear skies and dry, temps eventually into the 92 degree range. Car ran quite well overall...the engine light went back out, but then came back later this evening. I'll get it looked at this next week. (I suspect oxygen sensor...over 200k on the car.)
Average for the trip is probably around 22 mpg. I am happy with that. Around 68 mph I got 24-25...around 70 -73 gave the 22 - 19.5 reading.
Tomorrow, clean the car, (BUGS!) and vacuum Sasha hair out of it. Then mow my lawn! Pick up wife around 10:45 tomorrow night. Sunday mow my son's lawn. I will endeavor to load and post pics before bedtime Sunday. :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Okay...pics. I got more of Alvin's because he still has a shop. Louis has pared down his car world. So...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

And then...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

And pics of Bob and I with Louis.
Linda, Louis' wife is camera shy, but she shot the pics for us.  Two really great people. We went to dinner with them after pics and picking up the bumpers and other items that he had for me.

I spent 2 days with Alvin as Bob didn't fly in to Billings until the 2nd day. Alvin let me take both the Retractable and the '3 Plymouth out for drives. Needless to say, I was in 7th Heaven! first time I have driven a '57 since 1976! First time EVER driving a bonafide street rod! Life was very good!
Rosie fed us BBQ hamburgers and a couple of different salads plus dessert! Oh the lady can cook and bake!!!

We had planned to go up and see Cobra Joe...but Mother Nature got rude while we were in Connecticut, so we left the next morning for home, just ahead of a storm which followed us for a few 100 miles.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

alvin stadel

Hugh, about 4 months ago when you said you were going to drive up and see me, I thought this is good. Then when you told me you were going to Conn. from here to pick up your bumpers I thought you are NUTS, all those extra miles.  It was great seeing and visiting with you again. As for the diving the RHT and the 31, that ear to ear smile told me you were having a blast. The same for me. I think that was the 1st time I have rode shot gun in my cars. Because they won't let me drive anymore, it was the 1st time since last Oct. that they were on the highway. I had so much fun that yesterday being such a very nice day I rode shot gun again as I had Rose take the wheel, her first time. Thanks again Hugh, it was great.

RICH MUISE

Very impressive collection, Alvin. Wow, Hugh FINALLY posted some pics, lol.!
Hugh, if I had known you hadn't driven a '57 for so many years, I would have let you have a spin in mine.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Quote from: alvin stadel on 2023-06-26 09:16Hugh, about 4 months ago when you said you were going to drive up and see me, I thought this is good. Then when you told me you were going to Conn. from here to pick up your bumpers I thought you are NUTS, all those extra miles.  It was great seeing and visiting with you again. As for the diving the RHT and the 31, that ear to ear smile told me you were having a blast. The same for me. I think that was the 1st time I have rode shot gun in my cars. Because they won't let me drive anymore, it was the 1st time since last Oct. that they were on the highway. I had so much fun that yesterday being such a very nice day I rode shot gun again as I had Rose take the wheel, her first time. Thanks again Hugh, it was great.

I was glad to drive them both. But I was also happy to get you out on the road in the Retractable! Doing that...was just as much of a pleasure as me driving it...not to mention the '31!
My pleasure!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-06-26 09:48Very impressive collection, Alvin. Wow, Hugh FINALLY posted some pics, lol.!
Hugh, if I had known you hadn't driven a '57 for so many years, I would have let you have a spin in mine.

Well...next time maybe we will trade seats !My oldest son is soon to be living in Texas...the Frisco area...as his company is moving him there to begin opening pizza joints in the area around Dallas.  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker