News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

On the road...again!

Started by mustang6984, 2020-08-30 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Thanks Hugh for posting all those great pictures from Alvins.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Here's a pic of when Hugh picked me up in Amarillo on his way to pick up a continental kit from our new forum friend in Lubbock. Sorry, can't remember his name.......Cortney?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-06-28 08:33Here's a pic of when Hugh picked me up in Amarillo on his way to pick up a continental kit from our new forum friend in Lubbock. Sorry, can't remember his name.......Cortney?

Courtney...yep. That was a good day and a fine stretch of the legs eh? His car is gonna be one sweet and sexy ride when done!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ford Blue blood

We need Courtney to share some pictures of that ride!  Looks like he has a nice car.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Ford Blue blood

Rich I have no idea how I missed that thread??????  Thanks for the link!  Must be some of those abused brain cells got confused......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mustang6984

Okay...back on the road...all alone this time. Sasha is staying at home.
Emergency road trip. Friend of my son is moving from CA to MO. Left early Wed morning, made it almost as far as Kingman and his thermostat closed up and that was the end of the trip. Will take a few days to get into a shop for repairs, and he has a limited amount of cash. Not enough to pay for a room for several days and repairs and finish the trip. He has a cat...which is why Sasha is guarding the home front whilst I am on the road. She is pouting! LOL!!!
So hooked up the car trailer and left around 10:30 MO time heading west. Stopped for the night in Henryetta OK. Will be stopping in OKC for a bit tomorrow for two tires on the front of the trailer (knew they needed replacing but didn't have any reason to rush getting it done.)
Cheaper for me to go get him and then come back than wait around hoping to get it fixed and out to MO before running out of funds. Not to mention time...one waiting for him in Springfield at the O'Reilly's home office...so need to get this done.
Let's hope there are no more surprises! (which is why stopping to get those tires!!!)   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

You've got my number if you need anything.

mustang6984

I do. Thanks!
Made it to Kingman AZ at 4:30 this morning. Heading back out in about an hour. Hope to have everyone home by dinner time Saturday. Tag team driving.
Lots of construction only one spot that was really bad...about a 20-25 minute back-up. \And then there was the poor gal in OKC who lost the front bumper cover off her car when I was changing lanes. Looked in the mirror, no one there, started to change and now there was. Left fender of the trailer hooked and ripped that thing off like peeling a banana. No one hurt, but a touch unnerving.
Hoping for a more boring drive back!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Probably the construction slow down was the one I lost 1/2 hour at least last Saturday coming back from Norman......just west of OKC on I40?
Sorry to hear of your mishap.

mustang6984

Well...made it back to Amarillo (2:00 a.m. so no call to Rich...sorry buddy...and leaving early so we can get back to Carr Lane by dinner time!) with no incidents. Well...sorta. When I put the winch in the box on the tongue of the trailer, I put a piece of flat steel on top of and underneath the floor section where the winch was to sit. Strength.
OOPs! Should have also put one under the front of the box as well. Seems the torque from the winch is pretty strong (12,000 lb. pull.)
We couldn't get the car into neutral, so I just decided to winch it up with the car in park. No problem...it started up...until the torque to move it caused the front of the box to pull off the mounting bolts. So when I get home, I'll be cutting some plate and bolting down the front of the box in the same fashion I did the back under the winch mounting holes.
Strangely enough...maybe some of you have heard of this, I had not...if there is no electrical power going through the car's system...the transmission will NOT disengage from park. I messed with his battery cables a bit (they need serious cleaning) and we got just enough power to make the interior lights come on, and he was able to pull it into neutral. So that made things easier and up and on to the trailer we went. Learn something new every day eh? (Subaru...Rich...are you familiar with this issue?)
Other than that...nice quiet albeit long drive.  :burnout:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

I think/thought most vehicles have a manual override to elevate this problem.  Just depress it and pull it into neutral.  The problem is they are somewhat hidden/disguised. 
Terry

RICH MUISE

I think on many cars, there is a small hole in the console near the shifter that you insert a tool to depress or disengage something.?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fayeJXj2njA

mustang6984

Dunno...it was hot...and we were on a time schedule...so got it into neutral and loaded it and hit the road. Home now...got here about 9:45 CT.
Uneventful return trip thankfully...tomorrow unload the car and put in a thermostat and see if that fixes the problem. Pretty sure it will.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker