News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gas Gauge ?

Started by clubcoupe57, 2012-03-13 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

Hi Guys, I am trying to fix my gas and gauge and after doing some test I found the instrument voltage regulator is bad, put a volt meter on it 12 volts going in nothing coming out, it is suppose to drop to about 5 volts, my problem-is I can't find one , I found one for a 66 Fairlane looks exactly like mine but C and G Ford Parts don't know if it would work, anybody have any ideas, thanks alot guys!

JimNolan

those are funny creatures. It's been a while but don't you read the output on the AC scale of your voltmeter and doesn't it have to have a load hooked to it to work. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

Are both the temp and gas reading bad?  If the temp gauge is working the voltage regulator is working.  It really isn't a regulator, just a chopper.  It takes the 12V input and basicly opens and closes a switch to give a square wave.  A very sensitive DVM will show the voltage rising and falling.  As Jim says read the output on the AC scale of your meter.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lowrider

You can use a 12v test light to ck out the whole system. You should get a dim flashing on the output side of the regulator. You can save alot of steps checking it out by going right to the fuel sender and ck to see if its flashing there. If it does, leave the test light connected for a minute and look at the gage on the dash. It should go to full while the test light is connected. If it does you just verified that the regulator, dash gage & wiring are good up to the connection at the fuel sender. At that point its probably a bad sender or poor ground at the sender. With everything connected you can run a ground wire from the sender to ground to eliminate that as being a problem. If the ground is ok then I would look at the sender. If it doesnt flash at the sender, then you have to backtrack to see where your loosing the voltage.

clubcoupe57

My volt regulator only has 2 terminals, 1 to the ign. and the other goes to the gas gauge, nothing goes to the temp gauge. tired all the steps to ground and peg the needle but nothing worked, but then again wiring is not my best suit, thanks again, Mike

lowrider

It should have wires going to both dash gages but well stick to the gas gage. Does the test light flash coming out of the regulator & both sides of the gas gage? It should flash on all these terminals (w/the key on). If it doesnt flash at the regulator, its bad. If it does & doesnt flash on both terminals of the gas gage, its bad. If you have power to the regulator and nothing coming out, its bad. I would try the later model regulator if you cant find the correct one. They didnt change them much over the years.

Hoosier Hurricane

The voltage regulator has to be grounded for it to work.  John

clubcoupe57

I took a chance and bought a instrument volt reg off ebay, said it was for 50s to 60s Ford, asked the guy if it would work on my 57, said he didn't know, least he was honest! Bought it any way only $20.00, and by golly that was the problem, now it works, but there is always the but, gauge only goes down to 1/4 tank! But I am headed in the right direction, thanks for the help guys!