News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trim Screws

Started by JimNolan, 2012-03-25 09:19

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   Do you know if they make chrome trim screws with smaller heads. On various locations when mounting trim pieces to a car you will encounter screw holes that need the next size screw installed for holding purposes but the head is larger than what the trim piece is dimpled for. Do they make special screws with smaller heads for this purpose. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Jim...are we talking interior trim pieces? Probably what you're looking for is going to be stainless, not chrome. If it is interior..they make s.s. interior screw kits for most models...I just don't know how true they are to the original design.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Yes, exactly. A lot of the trim screws I've had to put in the 57 and 63 have heads that are a little too big. The treads will go through the hole OK in the trim pieces and fix the problem of securing the trim piece but the heads are just a tad too large to make the appearance of the assembly smooth. Jim

57 imposter

I think you are looking for #8 screws with #6 heads. almost any bolt store or upholstery shop can supply them

JimNolan

Thanks guys. I will be looking for those. Jim

RICH MUISE

I guess I hadn't noticed the problem because all of my garnish rails and window trim are or will be covered with vinyl, so the heads have a little suish area to set into.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

They also make #10 screws with #8 heads.

John

JimNolan

I ordered 5 different lengths of the 8 with 6 heads. I didn't even know they made such a thing. Stands to reason they would. After 50 years any hole will get wore out. Jim

Zapato

Quote from: JimNolan on 2012-03-26 08:38
I ordered 5 different lengths ........................ After 50 years any hole will get wore out. Jim
[/quote/]

Jim, I'm going to take the high road and leave this alone. Tempting as it is.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

suede57ford

You can use the fold-over nuts.  The slide over the edge of the metal and then you can use the standard size screws.  I have noticed them included when you get with a new set a car speakers and they are used new cars fender liner clip.   You can get them in a retail pack at the local auto parts store.   Sometimes you may need to cut a little slot in the sheet metal to give you a place to slide them in.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429