News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering bump stop sizing and item number

Started by DanTudor57, 2014-11-14 15:09

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTudor57

Steering bump stop sizing and item number for a '57 ford custom tudor

I am getting my car back on the road. While inspecting my steering and calipers, I noticed  that the steering bump stops for the lower control arms are missing. Looks like they have been gone a lone time, instead I had a bare bolt being used as a stop.. NOt really what I want down there.

1) Does anyone have the ford or after market item numbers for these? I found a few hits from Dennis carpenter, and others but none of them had a decent enough item description to convince me they were the correct  bump stops. I c find a proper suspension diagram to get the numbers off of either.

2) Does anyone know their approximate size? I have wilwood calipers the might be impacted by the size of these bump stops.

I know I can use any stops for appropriate sizing, however, I am trying to figure out the stock steering travel so I can use it as a reference to see how much of that travel I will  lose with the larger caliper?s interference. If it is too much, I'll remount them, or lose them completely and go with something else.

Thank you!

RICH MUISE

I got supplied just a bolt also with my drop n stop Granada kit. I'm not sure Ford ever had a stop bumper, mine didn't have anything in the hole for it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

DanTudor57

Sounds Like I'll stick with the bolt-as-a-bump stop for now.

I was worried I was losing some of my turning radius with those bolt and wanted to compare to "stock" bump stops.

RICH MUISE

I've got to make a note to adjust my stop bolt after I get my final wheels and tires.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

My Custom has holes now but I seem to remember my first '57, (a Fairlane bought new by my grandmother) had a bolt with a roundish head as a stop. My custom has Torino spindles... The flat on the spindle doesn't line up well with hole for the stop though.
Lynn