News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mustang hydro-boost

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-05-18 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Right now, I am pretty disappointed.  I will look at this again, but for it to work, I will have to move the boost unit as high as I can.  This may cause problems with the angle of the push rod to the boost unit.  If I can raise it that will eliminate the problem with the shift linkage, not sure about the return line or supply line.

Stay tuned.

Rich

RICH MUISE

That I'm aware of, everybody that's done one has raised it from the original master height....are you saying your disapointed because you have to do that, or your disappointed because you have to raise it higher than previously discussed?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

I know that those of you with replacement engines had to raise the units.  At this point I am not sure that I will be able to install the supply and return lines.  Super close to the exhaust manifold even when raised and it can only be installed with the hydraulic lines on the bottom side.  I do have concerns about the angle from the boost unit to the attachment point on the pedal. 

Just whining a little, I'll get over it, I hope.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Just a thought...wouldn't Banjo fittings help get the hoses away from the steering and exhaust?
Enlarging the hole in the firewall was the easiest way to get the (Mustang) boost unit to match up to the mounting hole pattern in the firewall and pedal bracket. I'm not even sure when I did mine if I knew if I actually needed the height to clear the engine.

ROKuberski

Rich,

Car issues are on the back burner until Saturday.  Just wondering, was the angle of the pushrod from the brake pedal to the boost unit a problem when you raised the boost unit?

Banjo fittings may well be in my future.  This will be tight, but I figure that if I don't have an issue with the angle to the boost unit, I can go up around 1-1/2".

I'll see how it goes on Saturday.  My wife just retired and I have more "help" in figuring out what I am doing each day.  However, Thursday is still my volunteer day at the Colorado RR Museum.

Take care,

Rich 

RICH MUISE

No issues at all with the connecting rod.
As I mentioned previously, the easiest way to enlarge the hole is to use the dimple in the firewall to pilot a 2" hole saw.
www.purechoicemotorsports.com has banjo metric to AN adapter fittings...I assume they also have the Banjos when you don't need the metric conversion.??.
The Mustang unit has two larger inlet/outlets and one small one. Pure Choice does not make the banjo for the small size port...so that may be an issue.

ROKuberski

Kent,

Just wanted to let you that I got your generous gift and it is a perfect fit.  Thanks, a lot, I really appreciate it.

Rich, I just used the dimple as a center hole for a 1-1/4" hole saw which will give me all the vertical raise that I can get. It's also big enough for the boss on the back of the boost unit to fit through.

I've done a test fit and I can get clearance on the supply line.  The return line will be close and I am considering looking for a 90 degree fitting that I can use there, or to silver solder a piece of steel tubing on the return line fitting that I can turn away from the exhaust manifold.  That will get the hose away from the worst of the heat.  I will also have to put a very slight up angle on the whole assembly.  Otherwise the push rod will bind against the housing when the brake pedal is applied.  Bottom line is that it appears that I will be able to get this assembly to work.

Tomorrow, I'm helping a guy that is about 8 years older than I am put in a PS pump in a 1960 Fairlane that he purchased new.  It is leaking and I've got the replacement and other misc. parts ready for this project.  I hope it goes quickly so that I can see if I can find hoses for my own project.

Rich

ROKuberski

Gasman,

I want to confirm the plumbing connections on the boost unit.  In the upside down configuration, accumulator on the right side, the high pressure supply line is on the right side, opposite to the return line. Also, it's the larger of the two ports.  Correct?

Rich

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-05-28 17:00
My hydraulic booster will not mount at any angle.  Right side up with the accumulator inboard or upside down with the accumulator outboard.  Another benefit of upside down is the plumbing is on the bottom.  The master cylinder bolt center is 3-1/8"...fairly common.  I think the Wilwood master cylinder bolt pattern is slightly slotted to accommodate 3-1/4".  The booster to firewall pattern is 3-1/4"H and 4-1/4"W.  I think these boosters have been offered in kits for years by custom car aftermarket sites.  Master cylinder, booster, proportioning valve, and install kit $600-900.  Much cheaper to wander the bone yards and shop for your own stuff.

RICH MUISE

How's this project coming along? I guess Gary didn't see your question for him, but I assume you got your answer somewhere. I didn't post what my ports were since the vintages are different so not necessarily the same as yours.

ROKuberski

Rich,

Yes, I've got it figured out.  One port on the boost unit takes a weird connector.  I took the boost unit to a place that makes all kinds of hydraulic hoses, including for cars.  They did not have this connector.  The guy there has done some research for me and found the connector and I've told him to order it.  This place will make me custom hoses for about 1/2 the cost of what I paid for hoses from Borgeson.

I had a heck of a time helping my friend with his PS pump.  Turns out that the last person that worked on his PS system incorrectly reassembled the fluid tank on top of the pump.  There is a reinforcing plate that goes inside of the tank and they put it on the bottom. It is a good thing he had an original service manual or we would have put it back together like it was.   It's been leaking for 25 years.  What a deal.  We did replace the pump anyway and it is a challenge to remove and replace.  I also rebuilt his power assist cylinder.  It too was leaking, but it turned out that leak was from a very small hairline crack in one flare fitting.  That steel line had so many bends in it that I ended up cutting off the "easy" end, putting in a coupling and then rebending just the end at the cylinder.  The crack was almost invisible, but the juice sure found its way out.  Be careful when you volunteer to help someone.

Rich

gasman826

Sorry...missed your question.

ROKuberski

No problem, I got it figured out.  Now, all I need is one part to complete the new hose I need.  Hopefully it will show up this coming week.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Rich/Gary...I'm really curious about the "one weird connector" on the hydroboost. Is that an issue that is not on the later units?

ROKuberski

Rich,

I am not really convinced that it is a weird connection.  I've done some experimentation and I think it might be a standard connection that he just did not try to use.  I will visit him again on Tuesday.

Rich

RICH MUISE

For what it's worth, mine are all metric, but it's a 2002 unit. Nothing weird though..just 3 different sizes.