News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mustang hydro-boost

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-05-18 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

I just spoke to Pure Choice motor sports and after sending pictures and making measurements, I am pretty sure that they have a banjo fitting that will mate to my booster unit.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Those guys are pretty knowledgeable and willing to help even if it's not meaning a sale. I forget their names, but the two guys that answer the tech questions are father and son. I've been to their shop in Lake Havasu, Az.
It sounds like your local guy wasn't able to help and the part you were waiting on didn't work?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Rich,

I am still waiting for "the part."  The local guy told me that the adapters that are screwed on the casting were a weird "automotive only thread."  Not so.  I don't think I need the adapters that were screwed onto the casting at all.  I'll still visit the local guy Tuesday.  I will need him to make up the hoses even if I do use the banjo adapter.

Thanks for the link to those guys.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Any progress?
I'm headed for Colorado Friday evening. I'm registered to do a car show in Green Mountain Falls Saturday...if you got nothing to do, come on down. Green mountain falls is just 10 miles or so west of Colorado Springs on highway24. Heck, you'll be able to see my hydroboost in person!!, lol

ROKuberski

Rich,

Thanks for the offer.  I already have a car club event on Saturday, then I have to take my wife to a flower festival.

I have all of the hoses for the boost unit except for the return line.  The return line is aimed right at the exhaust manifold and it needs to make about a 100 degree turn in a very short distance.  A banjo fitting would work here, but this fitting is just 1/4" and I have not found anything that is that size.  I am considering modifying the small connection provided, but it is the short radius that is my challenge.  I will go to the hardware store to see if I can find a 90 degree fitting that I can silver solder to the steel fitting that I have now.  If I can, that will solve the last issue with this installation.

Have you reached the 99% mark with your car?  I know no one ever gets to 100%.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Not close to 99%...I haven't actually worked on it for a month or so. 1/3 of the lower car is in primer waiting for me to get tired of driving it. Besides that, lots of small things to redo, but all of that can wait.....I'm just enjoying the heck out of driving it.

ROKuberski

I just machined the parts to make my close 90 degree return line connection.  I just need to silver solder it together.  I don't have flux right now, but I know someone that does.

Rich

ROKuberski

Well, I've got it all back together.  With power steering and a hydro boost unit for the brakes, there is a lot of plumbing in a small area.  Tonight I will get my wife to assist with bleeding the brakes.  If you read anything on the news about a '57 Fairlane being blasted into space it will be because the power brakes did not work.

Ever hopeful,

Rich

RICH MUISE

Watch the heat buildup with a laser thermometer if you have one. If the power steering part of the system is not bled, the hydroboost will get hot in a matter of minutes. Not sure what to recommend on yours as I remember you don't actually have power steering. On my rack setup I needed to turn the steering lock to lock about 20 times for most of the system to self bled at the rack, then alot of back and forth bleeding at the master (mine has 2 bleed valves on the master), and at the calipers with a harbor freight vacum type bleeder. Took me about a day to finally get it done. Two systems in one that need bleeding...have fun.

ROKuberski

Rich,

Thanks for the heads up.  The weather got nasty and I brought all cars in this evening.  The Fairlane is on the lift, so this has to wait for tomorrow.

I do have power steering now, that's one reason that I decided to use the hydro boost unit.  And, I have the same master cylinder that I was using before mounted on the boost unit.  I've run the engine and got the power steering bled, which also has to bleed the boost unit. 

I wonder why the boost unit gets hot if there is still air in the system?  I do have a laser thermometer, so I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks,

Rich

RICH MUISE

Great.....When I was first working on mine, the Hydroboost would get to 140* plus in just a few minutes. After turning the steering lock to lock for a while, it dropped to 110ish, then eventually just warm...87* if I remember correctly.

RICH MUISE

Hey Rich, off topic, but check out this thread on the Hamb...it's about an old Colorado Midland train wreck...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/identify-this-train-wreck.1026611/

ROKuberski

Rich,

Cool pictures of the old wreck(s).  Looks like some of the fine junque that we have at the Colorado Rail Road Museum.

Rich

ROKuberski

Well, it's done.  Good news is that the power brakes work and my custom fitting does not leak.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Rich

lalessi1

Hey Rich,

How would you rate both the Borgeson conversion and the hydroboost addition. Are you pleased with the results? What might you do different?
Lynn