News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Motor swap in 1957 Ford 2 door hardtop

Started by 1957 Ford Meteor, 2015-02-20 19:06

Previous topic - Next topic

1957 Ford Meteor

Will a 390 c.i. Engine fit in my 1957 Ford Meteor without having to move the motor mounts? If It will not fit is there motor mounts that will fit to make the engine change? I presently have a 272 c.i. motor in the car.

lalessi1

This is a bolt in swap. The standard motor mounts will bolt up. Transmissions will too depending on what you want to use. I have a 390 and a 4 speed toploader transmission, all basically assembled with Ford parts.
Lynn

1957 Ford Meteor

Thanks for the info. That will make this a lot easier than I thought it would.

Ecode70D

If my memory serves me right, you may have to turn the motor mounts around from front to back and it will bolt in.  It's been a long time since I did that so maybe one of the others will chime in on this.

RICH MUISE

I think by "standard motor mounts", they are talking about the FE mounts, not the y block mounts.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57redwhitered

The y block mounts will need to be reversed.  Don't know about the fe mounts.
1957 Skyliner

RICH MUISE

My mistake I guess. I thought when you went to an FE block, you needed the FE mounts.

SkylinerRon

All 54-58 V-8 Motor mounts are the same. Position is reversed from Y-Block to FE.

Ron.

lalessi1

I used Y Block mounts on mine and I didn't reverse them. The engine is about as close to the firewall as it can be.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-02-22 00:35
All 54-58 V-8 Motor mounts are the same. Position is reversed from Y-Block to FE.

Ron.
Now I'm more confused than normal...A 390 isn't 54-58, so what's he going to need? I realize the 332-352 '58's are the same FE family as a 390. Are you saying he can use any v-8 mounts 54-58, but not '59 up because they changed?

hiball3985

54-58 mounts were the same as stated above, they have two studs, 59 they changed to a single stud. I seem to remember the 65 and later block castings changed in the area of the mounts, will the early mounts still bolt to those blocks?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Yes, later blocks simply added a third mounting boss to the rear of the existing two.  Those two are in the same place as they were when the original 332s were produced.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2015-02-22 08:22
Yes, later blocks simply added a third mounting boss to the rear of the existing two.  Those two are in the same place as they were when the original 332s were produced.
Thank you, thats good to know.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Thanks to everyone for ending that confusion.   In my case it's a matter of poor memory because I was  constantly swapping FE engines into 57+58s.   It was always a simple one day bolt in 40-50 years ago.  these days it might take a week.HAHA

SkylinerRon

54-58 is the two stud, 59-62 is the one stud,  63-64 is a flat style not like the previous "u".
65 started the three bolt blocks which will bolt into the earlier chassis.
An early block in a later car is not so easy.

Ron.