News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Radio picture

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-03-10 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Hello, I have a chance to buy a radio for my wagon but the seller doesn?t know what he has. And I don?t either. So can someone post a few pics of a stock radio that would go in a 57 wagon. Ideally the ace plate and maybe the back side where the connections as well?

Thank you,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

djfordmanjack

this is the standard am radio

there is also an accessory signal seeking town/country version. it has 2 buttons above the scale. it uses a different faceplate.

1930artdeco

Thanks Guenter,

That looks like the one I am trying get. Just going to squirrel it away for now.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

I have a couple of the Town & Country ones...but not in very good shape I am sorry to say. I can get a pic of them later tomorrow and post it if you like.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

1930artdeco

That would be nice of you.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

glr7533

This is one that was in my 57.

1930artdeco

The one I am looking at looks like yours glr, so I am assuming it came out of a car and not a wagon. But that shouldn?t matter-should it? It even has the fancy silver bezel.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

djfordmanjack

Mike, the radio would be the same on a wgn or pssgr car.
What you see in the pic above, came on a fully factory equipped car from some plants. when everything was ordered (heater,radio,clock) they would provide a single solid chrome face plate across the dash. which is a rare item. ( unfortunately I once missed out, when I had the chance to buy one in Long Beach).

usually each of the devices would have their own separate face plate, so they could be replaced with a delete plate if one or the other wasnt ordered from factory and could later be dealer equipped.

Please note how the ripples are horizontal on the solid plate, but are vertical on separate heater or radio or clock face plates.

djfordmanjack

terry_208

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-03-11 02:58
What you see in the pic above, came on a fully factory equipped car from some plants. when everything was ordered (heater,radio,clock) they would provide a single solid chrome face plate across the dash. which is a rare item. ( unfortunately I once missed out, when I had the chance to buy one in Long Beach).

I didn't know they were hard to find. I just thought they were a top end item.  I just disposed of one for the t&c radio.
Terry

mustang6984

Ah Terry...I could have used that... :'(
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Terry, I really don't want to spoil the party. But I just did a quick ebay search and there are like 50 or maybe 100 57-59 radios for sale starting as low as $11 and up to $150 for a good looking unit including the short face plate. so far so good.

there is only ONE full width solid panel (missing the radio and clock) and auction starts at $599.

Nope, didnt miss a point. :005:
now I know it's rare, but that is ridiculous.

mustang6984

Yea it is beyond ridiculous...gonna be there for awhile I suspect.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

glr7533

I only paid $400 dollars for the whole car that had that radio and full plate and got a lot of other parts off the car.

terry_208

The faceplate I disposed of went to a good home.  A friend in Florida is working on a (Victoria?) Fairlane 2 door sedan and is gathering parts to complete it.  He already had a t&c radio.  I've tried to get him to join the website but evidently, he doesn't use the computer as I get snail mail from him.
Terry