News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Best way to lift a 390

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-03-13 11:12

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

I need to lift an engine out of a uhaul box truck and position on a stand. It is a 390 so what I need to know where to place a chain and what bolts to use. I have read about using bolts that are on the front and rear of the heads but I don?t know what size they are. Any ideas? Maybe a head bolt?

This is just to get it out of the truck and onto the stand/ground for now. She won?t go into the car for a while yet.

Thanks,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

John Palmer

3/8 x 16 GR8, F and R of the opposite heads.  Pull the carb and make the chain as short as possible.  If you have it, use a rotator to balance it.

glr7533

Picture of what John said

mustang6984

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                  :003:yep :003:
Looks like mine...were you in my shop in Dungeness when I was loading?   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

I like using those lift plates that bolt onto the intake manifold, once the carb is removed. keeps dirt out, and is easy to balance the engine on the hoist, since it is picking straight up from the center. For years I used the diagonal chain across the heads or intake, much prefer the lift plate now.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

1930artdeco

Thank you that is what I needed. For now I am just moving the engine from truck to stand. But when I go to install I will use a leveler. I am assuming I install the engine and tranny separately-correct?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

Quote from: 1930artdeco on 2021-03-13 17:03
I am assuming I install the engine and tranny separately-correct?

Mike

That depends on you and how much room you have under the car. I have done it both ways...and I have to tell you...installing the tranny WITH the motor beats crawling under the car and installing the tranny after engine install.   :003: I just put packing blanket over the tranny (available from Harbor Freight or any U-Haul company store for cheap). JMHO!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

1930artdeco

Ok, that is great news. I thought I read somewhere here that you needed to do them separately due to the tranny crossmember. But, if I need more room there is always putting her up on high positioned jack stands.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

I have never left the tranny cross-member in place. I put it in afterword. Just put the floor jack under the tail-housing at the very back of the tranny...rise it up...install cross-member loosely...lower tranny down on to it...loosely bolt it altogether, then tighten up starting at the cross-member and then the tranny. Much easier than putting tranny in after engine is installed. Doing it that way...is for young guys with more muscles! LOL!!! As they say..."with age comes wisdom!" Somewhere along the way I got smart! I think it was the tranny and transfer case install on an old Dodge P/U I had...UGH!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

glr7533

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2021-03-13 13:08
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                  :003:yep :003:
Looks like mine...were you in my shop in Dungeness when I was loading?   :006:

Nope. never been there. This was when I brought it home from the junk yard. It came out of a 67 ford wagon. It looked a lot different when it when into the 57.

mustang6984

One of mine came from a '67 T-Bird.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

1930artdeco

I just picked up an old school engine stand and need to know what bolts I would use to hold it to it are. I can get the length but does anyone know the size and pitch.

Thank you,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

glr7533

I believe they are 7/16 -14 coarse thread.

SkylinerRon

You may need to drill out the bolt holes most of them are drilled for sbc (3/8")

Goodluck,

Ron.

Ford Blue blood

Make sure that engine stand is not a cheap Chinese POC.  That 390 will be in extremes on one of those.  Don't need to ask how I know this......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II