News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Should I convert my 57 steering box to 59?

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-06-12 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

I know where there is a 59 wagon in a yard and was wondering if I should consider grabbing the column and box out of it? I am already installing PS (the car came with it) and I am aware of the regular steering issues as I have a Model A with the same steering set up. I did a search but only two items came up and not that much info. So here are my questions:

1) Should I grab it?
2) what is involved in the change over? I would grab everything from the wheel to the frame. Can I still use my 57 wheel and horn ring?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

sprink88

I have not done it, but I am looking into it. What I do know is you do need the pitman arm off the steering box also from the 59. I believe you can still use your steering wheel, but you lose your horn.

~Chris

lalessi1

Grab it and the box too. The steering wheel on a '59 has an extra hole in it with a plastic insert for the "button" that rides on the horn contact plate on the turn signal switch. You can drill out the '57 wheel to match or use the '59 wheel. They are the same except for the hole. I have a '57 column with a '59 turn signal switch and a '59 wheel on my car. I have Borgeson PS and I still have my horn. There are two different wheels, one takes a horn button (Custom) and the other a horn ring (most everything else). Apparently the '59s are they same. I can furnish more details if you need them.

The '59 box is a great improvement. Grab the hood latch too!
Lynn

gasman826

X2 on the hood latch!

Take the horn bullet connector (down by the '57 steering box) and shove it through an unused hole in the firewall wiring grommet.  Then plug in right into the horn bullet connector from the '59 column wire harness.  Honk, honk.

rmk57

What's the deal with hood latch? Not the same as a 57?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KYBlueOval

No. The '58 and '59's are a slightly different much better design. Get it.
John

lalessi1

Lynn

gasman826

The '59 latch has fewer moving parts and latches without slamming the hood.  One moving part, one pivot point, one spring.  Great upgrade and looks quite original.  I grabbed them every time I saw them.  Still have a couple packed away.

hiball3985

X2 on the hood latch, I used a 59 and can close the hood with one finger :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

1930artdeco

Well got them both. Will the PS bolt to both the same way? I mean is there any difference between 57 and 59 as far as alignment, bolting together?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan