News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I finally got the antenae finished up. Really cool....last night I was sitting in my metal roofed garage listening to 850 KOA in Denver.
Ran the cable and switch wire to the radio only to find out my model radio (marine) does not output any voltage on the 4 unused wires on their harness. That would be were it's normally hooked up to put the antennae up or down when the radio is on/off. Instead I ran the wire thru a switch I mounted on the console fed by an ignition powered source. When the switch is on, the antennae goes up/down when the car is on/off, instead of up/down with the radio. The switch allows me to put it down when I need to.

I installed 1" lowering blocks in the back to see if that small amount would make a difference in handling. Boy did it!!! I now have none of that wanting-to-come-around feeling on a downward curve. Awesome. I was hopping for a little improvement and got a lot. I still have a pretty decent rake to the car. The back end was 1" higher then oem due to the 6 leaf springs, it is now pretty close to stock I believe....maybe a bit higher due to tire size.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Sounds like that 1" was worth a lot! I am inserting a frame mod to my car to alleviate that problem...I'll post a pic of the final design on my build thread when I get ready to insert it.

We are hoping to get this beast done in time to do the Woodard Dream Cruise this August. I am thinking perhaps YOU need to join us up there! We could get some others and just make a '57 cruise down the Ave!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Rich, I have considered doing that also, where did you get the blocks and did it include U bolts? I wonder how much more positive caster happens with a 1" drop in the rear, we need Lynn to do the math..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

It is not that complicated but the results will be negliable. As an exercise I will try a little later.... :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Lynn, I thought it would be negligible. It may not be complicated for you but way over my head.. 
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Jim.....on EBAY somewhere. Yes, it came with u-bolts, which I didn't need. The u-bolts that came from McVeighs with the new springs were just long enough to accept the 1" block.
The 1" as I remember were hard to find..... everyone carries 2" or up.
If I lived in an area that had an aluminum supply house, I'd make my own from solid stock. I didn't really care for the hollow extrusion, but that's all I could find. I gave the u-bolts to my friend at the speed shop (he's the one that installed the blocks...took 15 minutes, lift, axle jacks, etc). Anyway, tommorrow I'll check the box I gave him to see if there was an address on it.

mustang6984

Not to horn in on your chat with Rich...but since as he said the 1" are hard to find...if you have a machine shop (other than automotive) around your area, you can have them make you a set. If you DON'T have one...let me know...I have one near my wife's office. I bet they could make up a pair easily enough. Not sure about cost...but hey...whats' money..right? LOL!!!

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-01-30 17:14
Rich, I have considered doing that also, where did you get the blocks and did it include U bolts? I wonder how much more positive caster happens with a 1" drop in the rear, we need Lynn to do the math..
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Thanks Rich, I know the 1" are hard to find and I really don't want to go more then that.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-01-30 21:22
Thanks Rich, I know the 1" are hard to find and I really don't want to go more then that.
Thank you for the offer. I have access to a mill so I suppose I could make one, I'm just getting lazy in my old age.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Jim.searched my ebay purchase history...copied this:
1 item sold by performanceonline-pol
Lowering Block Kit for 2" Wide Leaf Springs and 3" Diameter Axle 1" Drop
Lowering Block Kit for 2" Wide Leaf Springs and 3" Diameter Axle 1" Drop
( 161388952509 )
Add note
   ITEM PRICE:
US $40.00

their ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/PERFORMANCE-ONLINE-PARTS?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

RICH MUISE

pics of trunk popper, antennae, and new vent tube. None of it real pretty, but hey, it's in the trunk.
BTW, I was talking to a friend today about vasolene'ing the trunk seal to keep it from sticking, and
he said what they use on rubber parts so the petroleum based stuff (vasolene) doesn't soften the rubber is Dielectric grease....aparently it is not petroleum based and wont affect rubber parts. Good to know!

mustang6984

I fully understand! No problem. If you get a bad case of REALLY lazy...let me know...I go by this place almost everyday on the way to my shop...depends on whether I stop at the post office first or not.

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-01-30 21:24
Thank you for the offer. I have access to a mill so I suppose I could make one, I'm just getting lazy in my old age.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Looks pretty nice to me! Well laid out! I especially like the copper line...makes it pop a bit. And the bends are really good. You nailed it!

Your friend is quite correct. My Saleen is a convertible...and it does have a bit of a leak tendency around the ends of the windshield where the lid mates.  A line of dielectric keeps the water at bay...although I have also used the Vaseline when in a pinch. Either one works pretty well. I have never had a problem with Vaseline on the rubber parts of cars. But dielectric is cheaper. And I...am kinda cheap myself at times! LOL!!!

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2017-01-30 22:27
pics of trunk popper, antennae, and new vent tube. None of it real pretty, but hey, it's in the trunk.
BTW, I was talking to a friend today about vasolene'ing the trunk seal to keep it from sticking, and
he said what they use on rubber parts so the petroleum based stuff (vasolene) doesn't soften the rubber is Dielectric grease....aparently it is not petroleum based and wont affect rubber parts. Good to know!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Thanks Rich, thats helpful. I remember looking on Ebay in the past and most of the kits were either listed for Chevy trucks or they didn't list the dimensions.

The trunk looks good, is that a zolatone type paint you used?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Well I calculated the change in caster, lowering the car changes the caster more than I thought. Basically the change in angle of the chassis adds to positive caster by the same amount. A 2" drop amounts to a 1 degree change in rake and a 1 degree increase in positive camber. 
Lynn