News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Neutral safety switch / reverse lights

Started by chapingo17, 2018-05-17 14:44

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I'm the process of wiring my reverse lights on a 57 Fairlane. Now, I wired the system so vehicle starter runs only in neutral. Up to that point I'm good, but the wiring for the reverse tail lights is were I'm scratching my head. I looked at a couple of schematics On-Line, but none show the tail light reverse wiring. Did Ford used the safety neutral switch to ground reverse lights? Or to supply 12v to lights? Also, at the tail light I have a double contact with a green and black wire. Why would I have this set-up? I would imagine to have a single pole light socket for the reverse light bulb.I'm trying to keep everything as stock as possible.

Ford Blue blood

The stock 57 neutral safety switch had the safety and reverse terminals both on it for automatics, not sure if they used the same switch for manual.  The switch will feed +12V to the back up lights.  The back up lights have a two terminal single filament bulb because the socket is mounted in the plastic lens.  The green wire is the +12V from the switch and the black wire goes to ground.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

thomasso

3 speeds use a special brkt. and plunger switch.  Back up lights aren't shown in the wiring diagram as they were accessories. The wiring and installation can be found in the accessory section of the electrical assembly manual, green book.  Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

chapingo17

Great information I wasn't sure why the double wire. By the way mine is an automatic. Thank you Ford blue blood.