News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Country Sedan (sold)

Started by jrw429, 2021-11-18 14:19

Previous topic - Next topic

jrw429

Update: sold, thanks everyone.

I bought this to take road trips with my German Shepherd. We went to a number of places - Oregon, Iowa, Illinois. He passed on about 5 years ago and I haven't taken a trip in it since. Just some around town driving every few months. Always garage stored with me, and I need that garage space back. It is a good reliable driver, quite enjoyable on the highway. It is a great looking car, and it has some flaws. Ready to use as a fun driver. Good candidate for restoration. I am located near Boulder Colorado. Asking price is $8,000.

jrw429

Photos.

jrw429

Photos.

jrw429

Photos.

jrw429

Photos.

jrw429

Last set of photos.

jrw429

And now for the words. There is some rust. Previous owner put new paint job on - it is now Red and White with Red and White interior. Original color was Woodsmoke Grey with Red and White interior. Carpet and headliner is new. I think seats might be original and are in good shape. The engine I think is the original 292 Y-Block V8. An aluminum Blue Thunder 4-barrel manifold has been added. No power assist anything. 4-wheel drum brakes. As you can see in the photos, it is beautiful.

Here are all the issues with the vehicle that I can think of.

* Speedometer doesn't work. I presume the gear at the end of the cable inside the transmission broke years ago.

* Gas gauge doesn't work well. It has a new gas tank, but I don't think they re-installed the sending unit in it correctly, or broke it in the process.  It does work for the first half tank, then is wildly inaccurate. The wagon has a unique sending unit, not shared with the cars. I looked for years and didn't find one. Someone with more connections or more time could probably figure out something.

* Rust in the "eyebrow" above headlight.

* Rust bubbling under paint, especially in driver's side rear quarter. Previous owner just painted over it. It hasn't gotten worse in the decade I've owned it. Car has been garaged at home the whole time. Rarely drove in rain or snow, but did a few times out of necessity on road trips. Overall the body is solid, with only a few spots.

* Rust through in front seat floor pans. Both driver and passenger side. Previous owner put in new carpet and underlayment without fixing holes in floor. I think back seat is fine.  Because no floor, unable to attach gas pedal. Have a new pedal, just no floor to bolt it to. Using the pivot arm without a pedal has worked for me. Toe boards seem to be OK.

* Arm rest in driver's side rear seat is missing. Actually broken, I have the old one I removed.

* Inside door panel on driver's side front seat is in poor condition - can see in photos. Others are aged but OK.

* Rear side window on driver's side is broken. I have a pair of new rubber seals but have never spent the time to get the window replaced. It is easy, as that piece of glass is completely flat. There are even companies that sell that specific piece in different tints. So won't be difficult or expensive. Curved windshield and curved tailgate glass are in good condition with some expected wear.

* A scrape on passenger side front fender, apparently from previous owner rubbing side of garage when parking.

* Rear tailgate doesn't close solidly. Also, some rust in lower edge of lower tailgate.

On the good side:

As I understand it, the wagon was in the Oregon high desert for all its life before I bought it. The previous owner worked at Dearborn Classic Parts near Bend Oregon, and apparently had the mechanics who worked for him do repairs on the wagon. He sold it when Macs Auto Parts bought the company and he had to move to Florida. The original generator gave out on me on a road trip. I drove it back home on just a battery without a generator. Found an old fellow in Boulder who could rebuild it and got it reconditioned better than new. He has since retired. Works so well I never bothered with changing to use an alternator. I removed the old vacuum-actuated windshield wiper motor and replaced it with an electric motor. I've never been super happy with the sweep angle for the wiper blades with the electric motor, but it is much better than the vacuum system that barely worked. As mentioned, it has the Blue Thunder manifold. I am pretty sure I have the original cast iron 2-barrel manifold in a box. And I think the original air cleaner housing as well. I have replaced the water pump. I think I have replaced the gas pump - looks new but I don't remember doing that. I have heard that rust in the spare tire well in the rear of the cabin is a problem, but on my wagon no rust there. Windows crank up and down super smoothly. Installed new window felts, maybe not in all doors yet(?). I will dig through boxes to find any new parts I never put on, or old parts that came off. Also will toss in a couple sets of engine stands for Y-block - never found time to do a hot-rod engine build as planned. The heater gave out on a Thanksgiving trip to Iowa and drove it back in the cold with no heater - that was miserable. Can't remember exactly what the problem was, but I took it apart and fixed. I do have some hard to get part that I didn't end up needing to replace. Will include that. Heater now works great. It is an awesome car on the highway. Can have the windows down and virtually no wind noise. Never had a car that sounds so good and quiet on the highway with windows down. And of course, it is just a fun car to drive. Lots of great reactions when you are out on the road.

Great car looking for a new home. Help me out!

Jim

mustang6984

Nice ride...looks like the Shepherd took good care of it while he owned it...and you have since. (My German Shepherd owns my truck and explorer...and will probably own my Courier as well...funny how that works.)

If I win the LOTTO this weekend...I'll be adding some other '57's to my collection as well...including yours... :001:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Funny Hugh...as soon as he mentioned the Shepherd, I thought about you, and of course my late Husky. I almost sent you a pm to make sure you saw this.
Good looking car for a very reasonable price.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-11-19 08:40
Funny Hugh...as soon as he mentioned the Shepherd, I thought about you, and of course my late Husky. I almost sent you a pm to make sure you saw this.
Good looking car for a very reasonable price.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                      :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

jrw429

Had a lot of fun in that car. I hope the next person can enjoy it as well. Enjoy the good times with your Shepherd!

mustang6984

I do...a LOT! And thanks!   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Very nice car and most reasonably priced! you would expect some rust repair needed in a 57 wgn and yours appears to be pretty solid and well kept for a daily driver quality car. also the original color combo sounds striking if anybody wanted to go that route of a fully correct restoration. Hopefully this wagon goes to the right person, really wanting a 57 wagon. This one appears to be better than most and with a very appropriate and honest description. It's even a V8 and then look at those original rust free rocker panels. WOW!
Personally I already have 2x 57 wgns so am not in the market unfortunately. Good luck with the sale !