News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Mechanical fan for a 302

Started by Limey57, 2017-05-14 13:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Okay, got a 1979 302 behind a reconditioned stock radiator in the Ranchero.  I had to put 1/2" spacers between the engine & the mounts to lift it 1/2" to give adequate clearance between the headers & passenger side suspension.  The problem is that the centre of the water pump is now way above the centre of the radiator, it measures about 12" from the water pump to the bottom of the radiator core & about 6" to the top.  Anything bigger than a 15" fan hits the top hose and even that has the fan blades level with the TOP of the radiator header tank which worries me a bit.

What does everyone else use for a fan?  I didn't want to have to fit an electric one but at the minute it looks like the only option.

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

wrong headers and water pump appears too close to the radiator.  I had the same problem, by the time I figured out which header might fit, I had gone through so many I was reluctant to buy another set.  I modified a cheap set of stainless shorties to fit.  I'm using the serpentine belt system and a fan would have been to close for comfort.  I used a Mark VIII fan in front of the radiator with a cheapo 195 degree controller and 185 degree thermostat.  So far it has only ran on the hoist.  It 351w has idled for 45 minutes with the fan cycling on and off.  The coolant temp is steady at 190 with the OEM dash gauge a little north of 3/4.  Since the OEM gauge was designed for a lower temperature engine, I think 3/4 is the new normal.

Limey57

Thanks. Just measured the headers & for some reason the passenger side sticks out 3/4" more than the drivers side. I'll chop it up to make it identical to the drivers side so I can lose the engine spacers, that will make it a bit better to start.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Raising the engine wasn't a good idea anyways. That will through the driveshaft/pinion angle off. Putting it back down will save you another headache when it hits the road..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Gary... once you get the spacers worked out and the engine down a 1.2 inch.. what is the distance between the pulley and inner rad face?
I prefer a stock Mechanical look my self(but not an electric fan hater)... Speedway offers a stock looking OEM 17 inch fan.....  cheap...less than 40 bucks US.... but I know where you live and costs can climb for international buyers.
Also, here is an Afco 15 inch(pn 80182) 6 blade steel fan.......

If going with a pusher or puller Electric...Spal has always been good for my needs.... and I like a remote switch.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

Sorry... forgot the pics//////

Speedway first,.... Then Afco.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

thomasso

I ran a Maverick 302 in my Falcon ranchero for years with no fan at all. Made a couple of trips to Az and had to put the blade on once when over 100.  Make sure the blade you use has the right pitch, serpentine belt is opposite.  I painfully found this out when using a scrounged up ford blade on a V12 Jag, always overheated even to the point of blowing radiator hoses.  Fan blade pitch never occurred to me until pondering one day and feeling no air blowing back found the air was just windmilling around because  I had used an opposite pitch serpentine blade.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Limey57

Thanks guys.  Just ventured into the garage (it's so cold & wet here at the minute, did I miss summer?) and I've got 2 1/8" between the end of the water pump & radiator. I did fit an 18" Flexalite which was fine clearance wise, but it hit the upper radiator hose outlet!

I'll remove the engine mount spacers & see how much room I've got, I'll cut & re-weld the passenger side header so it clears the suspension, no idea why it's different to the drivers side!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

I wonder if the headers were made exactly the same for both sides but the right bank of cylinders sets ahead of the left, maybe one inch or so. That would move the header forward on that bank if it wasn't compensated for in the design..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang