News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

292 w/Fordomatic linkage adjustment

Started by ROKuberski, 2011-06-18 12:28

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

I have a 292 with the Fordomatic transmission.  The accelerator linkage also has a rod that goes down to the transmission.  When depressing the accelerator there is a movement that pushes down on the transmission linkage and starts to move a triangle shaped piece of metal with a long slot in it.  You have to move through the slot before the accelerator linkage to the carb does anything.  Yes, I have the service manual, but somehow, I don't believe that this is connected properly.  I don't understand why the accelerator should have to move so much before anything happens at the carb.  Am I missing something?

If anyone can send me some close up photos of both sides of that linkage I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rich

canadian_ranchero

make sure the 2 springs are in the right place.will look in my info to see if i have any pictures

ROKuberski

I have the two springs, but not positive that one is in correctly.  I still don't understand the "play" in the linkage for the accelerator.

I would love to see your photos.

Rich

ROKuberski

Well, I finally answered my own question on why my linkage was not working. 

What I was not seeing was that the spring on the right side of the linkage was not strong enough to pull the linkage into a notch at the bottom of the curved slot.  As long as the linkage was engaged in the notch, everything works fine.  I have the adjustments on the linkage to the transmission done per the service manual and it is shifting better than ever.

Rich