News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Low compression in three cylinders

Started by ROKuberski, 2011-12-27 23:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

That's it. 

If I remember correctly the bearing on the front of the output shaft is a ball bearing.  It provides no support for the end of the output shaft and the shaft will flop around pretty good without the yoke in place.  Might be you would want to pull that transmission apart as that rear bushing gets lubed from the gear lube in the box.  Plus with the rear seal leaking is the fluid level in the tranny up to snuff?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

ROKuberski

My information is just from a drawing I found on the internet.  The leakly rear seal on the tailshaft was taken care of late last summer.  The transmission is full of fluid, that's no problem.

I am going to stop by a transmission shop soon where I know the manager and talk to him about it.  If it seems like that bushing should be replaced, I will pull the tailshaft housing myself and see if I can do this myself.  If it has to be pressed out, they will do it for me.

Rich

Custom300Madman

Anyway to check th compression on an engine that has been pulled out of the car?
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

lowrider

You dont have to pull the tailshaft to replace the bushing. There is a tool that will pull the bushing out. Maybe your trans shop guy will loan/rent you the tool to do it.

ROKuberski

Thanks for the information. 

Right now, I am taking a look at perhaps having a tire/wheel problem.

Rich