News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Carb jets for high altitude

Started by ROKuberski, 2012-01-11 17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

I just completed an overhaul on my 292 and it is running rich.  I live at 5,400' and understand that I need to change to smaller jets to lean out the A/F mixture.

Does anyone know where to get jets for these carbs?

Mine is the Ford branded carb and looks like this one.  http://www.automedia.com/Motorcraft_Carburetor_Rebuild/pht20020301cr/1

Thanks,

Rich

hogwagon

We have a Harley shop in Colorado Springs Co and face the same issues. I am not versed in that carb but am proficient in others to have learned that if you can locate the air bleeds and open them just a few thousands it will help a lot at altitude plus the accelerator pump may be too heavy of a shot. The pump sometimes masks the jetting as it overloads fuel. A paper air filter is a serious restriction here as I have adjusted a running engine idle without a filter and have seen idle speed drop when the filter is installed on the running engine. You may still need to re jet but we have seen a lot of people chase jetting to find other issues that altitude can cause. I got the air bleed trick from Barry Grants crew at a show years ago and S&S Cycle now ships their carbs with replaceable jets for air bleeds. It gets deeper but too much for a thread.    Jon

canadian_ranchero

if my memory is correct the jets will fit from the 2v carbs from the late 50's to the mid 80's

ROKuberski

Thanks for the tips guys.  I will find out what my jets are tomorrow.  I am now pretty sure that I can order jets from CarQuest and they are not expensive.  I've located an old Phart tune up guy and he has clued me into the fact that the accelerator pump arm has several choices and this needs to be minimized to the point where the engine stumbles on acceleration, then notch it up one notch.  . 

I don't know what "air bleeds" are, but I will see what happens when the carb is rejetted.  It's not running bad, I just have black crud blowing out of the exhaust.

Rich

Partsman

Yes Ford did use this carb for years from 57 throught the 80's we used to sell a lot of the kits for these.  Very simple to work on.  They do not have air bleeds.  I have even taken the top off of one while the engine was running.  Jets should have a number stamped on them.
Bill

ROKuberski

My car had jets with the number 49F on them.  Information on the internet indicated that a 1 number reduction per 2,000 feet is recomended.  I live at 5,400' so a three number reduction seems more appropriate than a two number reduction.  I looked for jets and had problems finding exactly what I wanted.  I did find a guy near my home that had lots of jets, but the best he could do was a 45, which we drilled out to be a 46.  I have it installed now.  I also modified the linkage on the accelerator pump.  I moved the linkage to the outside hole on the lever and dropped the connection on the lever on the carb down from the third hole to the second hole.  I've been out with the car and put about 5 miles on it.  Once there was a faint hint of stumble on acceleration, but it seems to be driving fine.

A friend of mine is supposed to bring home an A/F ratio measuring device from his office this weekend.  I won't make any more adjustments until we see what this says.

Rich