News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

An unusual request...

Started by Ron, 2014-05-30 12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Can someone post some pictures (or direct me to some) showing how/where the two springs attach on the accelerator bell crank assemble on a '57 292 Y-block car with 4 barrel carb and Fordomatic transmission?  I know it's an unusual request, but my project car came without those springs and pictures would be a huge help in not only determining where and how they attach (on both ends), but the size and length of springs that I need to start looking for.  Many thanks in advance!  Ron...

petew

See if this helps at all. Picture of my 55 Tbird 292 y block with Fordomatic and pictures from the 57 Ford shop manual

Pete

Ron

Pete:  Thanks for that great picture.  Unfortunately, your bell crank assembly is substantially different on my '57 wagon, and I have a copy of the shop manual and have been looking at those pictures, too, but they're not showing the critical info I need, which is the location and size of the springs on the bell crank.  Hopefully someone on the forum with a '57 with 292, 4 barrel carb and Fordomatic trans will post some pictures for me.  Thanks again for trying, and that was a great photo! Ron

Mark

Hope these help.   Mark

SkylinerRon

57  292's didn't come with a 4bl.
Which carb do you have? Let us know.
There are several different springs used with different carbs, even different body styles.
Examples: 4bl springs are stiffer than 2bl. Wgns are different (for kickdown rates).
I am unable to post a photo, sorry.
Think I'd start with a complete set-up from a known 312.
Goodluck,
Ron.

Ron

Ron--Thanks for that info.  The car is a '57 Tudor Ranch Wagon; the carb is a new Holley 4 barrel (465cfm); the trans is the original Fordomatic; and the Y-block is either a 292 or a 312.  I didn't know the 4 barrel was not an option on the wagons in '57, so I guess it's safe to say a PO installed it sometime in the distant past.  Given the new info you supplied, I'm now wondering if the accelerator bell crank assembly is correct for a 4 barrel.  Do you happen to know if this assembly was different on the 2 barrel and 4 barrel cars?  Thanks, Ron.

RICH MUISE

Ron....check out service bulletin 323. It's listed in our technical data section.
It wasn't that it was or was not a "wagon" option, it was an engine option. 292's only came from the factory with 2v carbs. 4v's were only found on 312's as oem. Service bulletin 350, pages 3 and 4, has a full list of '57 carburetors and their applications.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ron

Thanks, Rich, I will check it out.  This is more very helpful information.  Ron...

SkylinerRon

Ok, let's try this again.
1. Mark's picture is correct the way the springs are mounted. Except the rear/down spring should be only one spring with a long shank to attach to the bellhousing tab.
2. The spring rates are different because they have to counteract the springs on the carb shafts (1spr. 2bl, 2spr 4bl, 8springs 2X4's) and for kickdown speeds as different rear axle gear ratios need kickdown at different RPM's. Remember these old cars had no electronics only mechanical linkage for everything!
3. If your serial # starts with "C" it came w/a 292, a "D" 312.  The engines are hard to tell apart on the exterior if parts have been swapped around for
   57 years.....
4. Let's do some detective work, Get me the #'s off your cyl heads, distribitor, trans id plate and anything else you can find and i'll see what I can find
  out. Also which valve covers and dual exhaust? C or D code?
5. The reason I asked for carb List # is the pivot point on all carbs is not the same, that effects the spring package too.
Goodluck,
Ron.

Mark

The man who had the car before me had the 4 barrel intake and a new edelbrock carb he never installed. The two springs hooked together must be what he replaced a longer broke one with, they work and I just went ahead and used them again when I put the motor back in the car after rebuild. Wild hog (Tom) told me last year when I went to Byron Melt Down drags that they wanted to see 2 return springs on the carb and I told him I have that covered,  haha :005:   I did have to make up the rod that runs from bellcrank to the carb

SkylinerRon

Broke or lost. A lot happens in 57yrs!  Luckily I have 2 very original 57 Skyliners to reference from (and 1 more I modified in the 60's when I was young and brilliant LOL!).

Ron.