News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ashtray install in '57 Ford Ranch wagon?

Started by Ron, 2016-10-05 18:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

I'm attempting to install the dashboard ashtray in a '57 Ford Ranch Wagon that was removed a few years ago by an unknown prior owner and came to me in a large zip-lock bag.  I only have two pieces--the inner tray that would hold the cigarette and ashes, and the door/face plate that pulls down to reveal the inner tray.  I see how these two pieces clip together to form one unit, but I don't see how the whole unit fits into the dash. There was no attaching hardware in the zip lock back, so either I'm missing some parts, or it's a compression fit in the dash.  If anyone can give me a couple pointers on how this is accomplished, it would be much appreciated!  Thanks, Ron ... 

lalessi1

A while back I discovered there are two different ash trays for 57's...one for Customs and one for Fairlanes, They are very different but they interchange. I have both, I will take a few pics tomorrow.
Lynn

Ron

Lalessi:

Much appreciated.  Mine is a '57 Tudor Ranch Wagon, not a Fairlane, in case that makes it easier for you.  I'm proceeding slowly because the dash and the face of the ash tray were recently painted and I'm working with a small area that the tray assembly fits into.  Thanks for your help.  Ron...

lalessi1

Here are the pics. Had to use two posts.
Lynn

lalessi1

Ok, here is the explanation. The first two are of a Fairlane ashtray. There are three screws on the "frame", one on each side and one at the top.  The "frame" mounts from the back. The door and ash holder are a single part and it goes in from the front. The custom is shown below. The bigger of the parts mounts from the rear, it has the door and the frame as a unit. You can  see in the first picture where the paint is still the original gray and match it up to the dash picture. There are three screws, one each side, one at the top. The ash holder goes in from the front and is held in place by the three spring clips on the top.

Hope this is clear... If you need to know anything else or clarification, let me know. The ash holders are removable from the front for dumping out the ashes.
Lynn

Ron

Lalessi:  Thank you for that great info.  My ashtray is the second one.  That would be the one for the Custom.  When I got the car about a year ago, everything had been removed from the dash, including the ash tray, and tossed into a couple of boxes.  The problem with the ashtray install is that I'm not sure I have all the parts.  Right now I have exactly what is in your pictures--the ashtray itself that the ashes go into, and the frame with door that the ash tray "snaps into.  And just like yours, mine has one hole in the top and two on each side to secure the ashtray mechanism in the dash. Problem is, there is nothing on the inside of the dash that the 3 sheet metal screws would attach to, leaving me to believe I'm missing at least one more piece that attaches on the backside of the dash and accepts the three sheet metal screws.  If you can tell by looking at yours whether there is a third piece, and if you could get a couple pictures of it, that would be helpful.  If you can't do that, I understand.  I don't want you to start tearing your dash up, too.  I'll just keep researching it and maybe come across a parts car I can eye ball up close.  Thanks again, Ron

lalessi1

Bad news, the dash is stamped that way with the ash tray flange as part of the dash. I have a dash that you can have but the radio opening has been cut out and then there is the shipping issue.
Lynn

Ron

Can you possibly post a couple pictures of that part of the dash?  I can then compare it to mine and maybe get a handle on what, if anything, is missing.  Thanks, Ron

lalessi1

I wll try to get that posted today, it is in the attic.
Lynn

Ron

Lynn

I just looked at my dash and there does not appear to have been any cutting or modifications going on back there, so I think I'm good to go. I found another picture online of an ashtray like mine and it appears that the unit mounts using just the one sheet metal screw at the top center, and the sides of the ashtray frame are held in place with the tension of the two sheet metal tabs.  I'll see if this works when I get back on the project tomorrow.  Many thanks for all your help, Lynn!  Hope my message reaches you before you ventured into your attic on my behalf.  Ron

lalessi1

No problem, I did get the pictures so I'll post them anyway. You can see all three connecting hoes in the second pic. (Had to use two posts again)
Lynn

lalessi1

2nd pic...
Lynn

Ron

Lynn--Absolutely identical to my dash.  The remaining mystery is the diameter of the 3 "connecting" holes you refer to--they are all too large in diameter to accept the sheet metal screws.  Seems that there is a third piece that fits behind them that is not in the box of parts I got with the car.  Ron

Ron

Lynn: I think what I'm missing are the three small clips that fit over these 3 mounting holes and accept a small sheet metal screw.  I used to know the name of these clips, but it escapes me right now.  Not sure where I can buy these, but I'm pretty sure they are what I need.  Ron

BWhitmore

Captive nuts for sheet metal. Any good hardware store will have them.