News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ashtray install in '57 Ford Ranch wagon?

Started by Ron, 2016-10-05 18:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

lalessi1

The screws screw into the ashtray "frame", no captive nuts. The "frame" mounts BEHIND the holes in the dash. Look at the first picture I posted again... :003:
Lynn

Ron

Mine didn't want to fit behind the holes in the dash, but slid right into place in front of the holes.  But I see your point and will apply a bit more muscle when I'm back in the garage tomorrow to see if it will position in the rear of the dash holes like your does in the picture.  Thanks, again.  Ron

BWhitmore

There is a 57-59 Ford ash tray currently listed on Ebay that seems to have all of the parts.  Have a look.

Ron

RICH MUISE

yep...Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. look in the metal drawers where the screws/bolts, etc. are.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Quote from: Ron on 2016-10-07 17:14
Mine didn't want to fit behind the holes in the dash, but slid right into place in front of the holes.  But I see your point and will apply a bit more muscle when I'm back in the garage tomorrow to see if it will position in the rear of the dash holes like your does in the picture.  Thanks, again.  Ron

It definitely mounts behind the hole. The Custom ashtray had never been removed from the dashboard until I took it off (based on original paint).
Lynn

Ron

Lynn--If it's still off, can you send me a picture of one of the 3 mounting screws?  I'll then head out to Lowe's or Osh and see if I can come close to matching them.  Thanks, Ron 

lalessi1

Looks to be a #6 maybe #8 X 1/2" long. The same screw hold the glove box in... I think.
Lynn

Ron

Lynn:  Thank you for that picture, and the ruler measurement behind it, and your description.  You just put my project ahead significantly.  If you ever need a hand with anything out my way, please let me know.  I'll post a picture of the (correctly) installed ashtray next week.  You'll probably be happy to know that this is the last time I take on a project that has been deconstructed by someone else with parts dumped into boxes without zip log bags or source notes.  Ron...

lalessi1

Ron,
  It was my pleasure to help! If you need anything else....
Lynn