News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EFI for stock engine/upgrade automatic transmission

Started by ROKuberski, 2019-01-15 13:13

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Has anyone installed one of the aftermarket EFI systems on a y-block?  I am considering this.  I've got a 292 w/2V carb, so I know I would have to get a 4V intake manifold.  I had previously considered just installing a 4V carb, but doing the math on the airflow through the engine, I don't see that there is much improvement with a 4V carb. 

I'm also considering installing a different transmission too.  Perhaps a AOD or a C4.  This car is certainly not a daily driver, but if the weather is dry, I do drive it quite a bit.  The addition of PS and power front disk brakes has made it more enjoyable to drive.  Any thoughts on a preferred transmission upgrade?

Rich

lalessi1

It would seem to me the EFI conversion is pretty basic, I am looking at the Holley because it will allow you to put in an advance "map" at some point although that is not necessary to get you going. For the tranny swap I would favor the AOD for the overdrive. Here is a swap story....

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/277.cfm

If you optimize F/A ratio, ignition timing, and cut RPM I think you would really complete the "feel upgrade".

Lynn

RICH MUISE

The guys on the Hamb are real high on the FITech systems. I'll see if I can find a link to a guy who has a dual fit efi on his '54

Here's the guy's thread on installing a borgenson box in his '54, go to the end and someone asks about his FIT setup
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/borgeson-power-steering-upgrade-for-my-1954-customline.1133990/#post-12908808

I think he had a thread going when he was setting up the system. I'll see what I can find, but generally speaking lot's of positive stuff about the FIT on the HAMB, considering it is an off topic subject for their main board. It's one of the nicest '52-54's you'll see, btw
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Hey Rich, good to hear from you.

I've looked at a couple of videos of guys that have installed the Atomic unit (part No. 2900) and they have noted a few minor problems, but seemed to be doing well with it.  It's $1,249 and the Fit unit is $1,190 for the EZEFI Master Kit P/N 30227-06KIT, w/ inline pump. I think they are equivalent units.  I'll do more research before I buy, but I have also seen videos of the EZEFI kit where it too has a few problems.

Just to be sure, Is this the kit they are talking about?  https://www.fuelairspark.com/fasttm-ez-efir-fuel-master-kit-inline-fuel-pump.html

I need a 4V intake manifold before I do anything.  I believe the  ECZ 9425 B is the one to look for. 

You coming up for the Tri-State swap meet?

Rich

Ford Blue blood

Hey guys, one of the EFI vendors is selling a 2bbl injector.  Might be worth looking into to keep from having to purchase a 4bbl intake.  I just do not remember which one it is but will look and post.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

ROKuberski

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2019-01-16 07:43
Hey guys, one of the EFI vendors is selling a 2bbl injector.  Might be worth looking into to keep from having to purchase a 4bbl intake.  I just do not remember which one it is but will look and post.

I had not considered that as everyone I've seen is for a quad.  MSD, Holley, FAST, who else is selling these units?  I'm not looking to make a drag car out of this, a 2V setup should be fine.

Hey, I found it.  Is this what you are referring to?  https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/parts/550-849?gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i70kC2BuaOzvpIppWHKYYTvoDibJ8BKQEC-NPRHkPwx1zhgKXMZMwRoC9gEQAvD_BwE

Rich

lalessi1

Lynn

RICH MUISE

Rich, that link you posted is for the Fast system, Not the Fit (Fuel Injection Technology). Most of the guys have talked about a learning curve to get it to operate correctly, and I'm sure that's the situation with all of them. On the guy with the '54's link you can probably tell by the few pictures in that thread the guy is a fanatic on getting things right for his car, and he did say it took a whileto get the system functioning properly, but I think I also detected a comment about the system having a learning curve, similar to what us guys go thru with the learning curve on our factory fuel injection systems.
I'll see if I can find a link to what they were talking about.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Learn is usually associated with a 'self tuning' capability.  FAST makes two systems.  The FAST Easy has self tuning capability.  It modifies it's lookup tables while the vehicle is being driven.  The FAST XFI system is full blown race system where the lookup tables must be modified by the user.  Most of the systems mentioned have some learn or self tuning capability.  The OEM systems have a mild form of self tuning with a learn lookup table to enhance personal driving characteristics.

ROKuberski

Rich,

I've done some more wandering around and it seems like the Holley kit is a pretty good one.  Especially since they have a 2V unit, which is all that I need.  I also plan to install a new HEI distributor.  I'm trying to figure out if there is much of an advantage to having electronic control of the timing.

I do expect the system to "learn" somewhat, but I don't need to squeeze the last ounce of power out of the engine.  I am looking to replace a tired carburetor and a worn distributor.  For not much more than buying replacements, I believe I can do this system upgrade and get decent results.

Next upgrade would be an AOD transmission.

I appreciate everyone's comments.  Very helpful.

Rich

Ford Blue blood

Yes, controlling timing gives the system much more response and accurate air/fuel ratios over the entire RPM/load/throttle position.  More drivability.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

ROKuberski

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2019-01-17 08:06
Yes, controlling timing gives the system much more response and accurate air/fuel ratios over the entire RPM/load/throttle position.  More drivability.

MUCH MORE RESPONSE - If that's the case, I would likely go for the extra cost, but that does seem like a stretch to expect a big boost in performance.  I do expect the EFI to improve driveablilty and some performance.  I will need to make that decision early in the process as it will require a new distributor from Holley as well as their high energy control box and a special rotor for the distributor.  That's about about $600 more than this unit. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Y-Block-256-272-292-312-Small-HEI-Distributor-RED-Plug-Wires-60K-Coil/232933801038

There is also a potential issue with fitting the Holley distributor.  They have a note that says it may interfere with a metal rib on the firewall.  As I'm sure you know, the stock distributor is in a very tight location. 

Anyway, I continue to research and think.

As always, I appreciate comments.

Rich

lalessi1

Personally I would hold off on the distributor until I installed the EFI. In my opinion having the maximum amount of ignition advance that the engine/fuel can tolerate under ALL operating conditions is the single most important parameter in operating efficiency/response. That said I think the EFI system does not need a new distributor to control timing, it just requires modifications to the system. Timing needs to vary with RPM and load so a "map" is what modern cars use for adjusting timing.
Lynn

ROKuberski

Lynn,

Thanks for the comments.  I've pretty much decided to put in a new distributor regardless.  The link below shows one that includes a high energy coil too, plus my distributor has 110K miles on it.  The new one is a little smaller so clearance issues will be minimized.

I have been thinking about the issue of the high pressure fuel pump required for the EFI.  I am leaning to installing it in the gas tank.  I've found a kit that mounts the pump in the tank, but the outlet and return line attach at the top of the tank.  Looks like about 1" of clearance is needed.  I put in a new about 5 years ago, but don't remember if I could shim it down a little to create some space.  I've thought about putting in a couple of redwood shims between the top of the tank and the bottom of the trunk.  Perhaps a 1/2" thick shim at the rear and a 1" shim towards the front of the tank.  That would cause it to tilt a little towards the front but should not be an issue for the filler neck at the rear.  From what I've read, the pump is noisy and if it sits in the tank it can dissipate some heat to the gas.

I've got a few projects at home that I need to complete before I jump into this, but this project is not too far away.

Rich