News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Remanufactured Y-Block for my car

Started by ROKuberski, 2022-01-15 10:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

As an old fart I couldn't agree more.  Self care in most important! While not having any issues other then slightly elevated BP (140/90 down to 120s/80 with pills) I am religious about staying on top of taking them and working hard on a good diet.  If I knew I was going to live this long I might have done things a little different.....no, don't think so!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

ROKuberski

Bill, sounds like you are on a good plan.  My friend is now back home, but has a long way to go.  He has diabetes and was not taking care of himself.  Lost 1/2 of his right foot.  He is a victim of self-neglect.  Anyway, I'm still helping him out, but not as much as the past three weeks.

This afternoon I connected my meter to the engine and cranked it up.  I was pulling spark plug wires one at a time and watching the RPM's.  #1-#5 I was getting about a 40 - 50 RPM drop.  On #6, no RPM drop.  I pulled the plug and connected the wire and laid it on the exhaust manifold and started the engine.  I could see a very strong spark, so now I am puzzled.

I still haven't tried 7 & 8, I have to put the car back on the lift to get to these plugs, my hydro-boost brake unit blocks easy access to these two plugs.  I guess next is to check compression on #6.

Comments?

Rich

I previously checked the adjustment on the valve lash and all were within about .001" from the rebuilder.

oldave57

Rich,

I think a compression test would be the next logical step.  You will need to have all the plugs removed for the compression test, so might as well get a reading on all the cylinders while you are at it (at least, that's the way I have always done the tests, with all plugs removed and carb (or in your case, fuel injection module) blocked all the way open and then get 3 or 4 compression strokes to get the highest reading on each cylinder. 

Dave

RICH MUISE

Any updates, Rich? Also, KYBlueoval has some questions about the hydoboost brake lines he'd like confirmation on. Your post above reminded me you had that system also.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Rich, I sent you a PM regarding your HydroBoost plumbing.
John

RICH MUISE

Just saw this, and apparently, our pm system is not working.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Update on the engine miss.

I'm pretty sure that I've finally got that figured out.  Needless to say, it was a process.

I verified that plug wiring was correct and I have good compression.  I was running out of things to check, so I finally took one of my old plugs and put it into the #6 cylinder and checked the RPM with and without a connection.  Now, I've got the 40 RPM drop when I pull the plug wire.  I then took the new #6 plug and put it in the #5 cylinder.  Here I got about a 10 RPM drop when I pulled the plug wire.  I've ordered a new Autolite 46 platinum plug and it should be here today.  I've been messing with cars since I was 15 years old and I've NEVER run across a bad spark plug, but it appears that this the culprit.  I previously laid the connected plug on the exhaust manifold and started the engine.  I could see what I thought was a good spark, but I guess it is not good enough.  I did test the resistance on the plug from #5 and it was 5,200 ohms and also tested #5, which I also took out, it was 5,600 ohms.  I then tested the plugs I removed, Autolite 46 regular plugs.  Resistance varied from 4,000 to about 7,000 ohms.  I don't know what else I could test, the plug did not appear to have any damage or flaws. 

Anyway, one new plug is a cheap fix.

I've also been helping my friend with his medical problems.  Things are now much better for him and that is freeing up more time for me on my projects.

ROKuberski

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2022-08-01 09:43Just saw this, and apparently, our pm system is not working.
Hmmm, I don't know, I did reply to the PM just a few minutes ago.

Rich

Fairlane62

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2022-08-01 09:49I've been messing with cars since I was 15 years old and I've NEVER run across a bad spark plug

I have had bad resistor plugs out of the box, but never a solid core.

SkylinerRon