News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

SoCal '57 Country Sedan Rebuild

Started by Cecil, 2019-04-01 21:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

Renamed thread, was "The engine in my '57"

Pre-restoration engine views. 

The previous owner tells me that the engine is toast.  He was driving back from San Diego about 13 years ago and decided to get into a race up the grade into Valley Center and kind of over revved it.  Valves went into pistons, cylinder walls were scored, it now is a two cylinder Y-Block according to him.  There is another engine that comes with the car, a supposedly healthy 292 so when I get the car into the garage I'll be putting the other engine on a stand and going over it.  If it is also not good then I'll probably get something newer and larger.  Either way this powerplant is coming out.  Any advice on what's larger and more modern that also fits best and is the least hassle would be most appreciated.

"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you." - Brother Dave Gardner

Contibob

Ford FE series would be the easiest, mostly bolt in larger displacement engine as that is what was offered in the 58. Personally I would stay with a Y-Block, but it is your car.

Cecil

Well, keeping it a Y-Block is a strong draw.  I keep reading that it's a tough and reliable engine (unless it's some 40 years old and you try to top 100 on a steep grade).  *Doh*

lalessi1

I LOVE the FE's. They were introduced in 1958 (same chassis and for the most part body) so they fit like they were made for the car, it is a bolt in with the right parts. They were a larger displacement replacement for the Y blocks and they address a lot of the Y block's short comings. You can build an FE with 332 CI all the way to over 500 CI. The FE's are about the same weight as the Y block's, parts are very available.
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

I agree with Lynn,.... I am a strong proponent of the FE,... and while I love the Y-Block,.. The FE is a much better engine in my opinion... very plentiful,Can be made into a powerhouse and parts are easily attainable over a parts counter.
Now saying that,.. I have a strong admiration for the Y-Block.....
I guess it depends what your plans are for your project?.... locally hanging around town or long distance hauls and vacations?.... power or cruiser?.....

But my vote is FE.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

FE choice is great but I would keep the Y if at all possible. But thats just me, I love my Y..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

John Mummert machine is in El Cajon. Couldn't think of anyone better to rebuild a y- block for you.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

Another Y-Block guy in California is Tim McMaster.... GREAT builder and has tons of experience ......

http://yblockguy.com
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

59meteor

I am also a life long FE fan, first swapped a FE in my old 57 Ford Sedan Delivery back in the 70s, and currently working (very slowly!) on a 59 2 door sedan with a 428 Cobra Jet and 4 speed Toploader. The FE is pretty much a straight bolt in, since it was available starting with the 58 models, provided you have the correct bits and pieces , like bellhousing or transmission, headers or exhaust  manifolds, oil pan etc. Pretty much any factory front sump oil pan will fit, you can use the old Y Block motor mounts, if they are in good condition. Plus if you break down in the middle of nowhere, a parts store is much  more likely to have a water pump/starter/alternator or other pieces for a 390 from a mid 70s Ford pickup than a 50s Y Block. That said, if its mainly gonna be a cruiser-driver, a 302 or 351W is a really easy swap, and very well served by local parts stores. A 302 is probably 150 pounds or so lighter than a Y Block, and there are plenty of them out there.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

djfordmanjack

I have had great success with a 302/c4 and a 351/c6. They are much lighter and improve the handling of a 57. That said I just love my 292 in the Country Sedan. it is an old worn unit, but still plenty strong for keeping up with everyday traffic and extended highway use. I also love the 3spd Fordomatic, as it can be (down) and speed shifted by hand easily. it gives the 57 plenty of pep and revs. 8.00-14s are squealing all the time if needed  ( I have heard them say... :002:) :003:
Never had a FE, but I do like their general design and they are similar to Y blocks in a lot of details. They look great and from what I read must be an awesome, powerful swap. I think you can't go wrong with any of those 3 choices.
Let me add one thing though. Do not bother using the C**** thing. If you do, we unfortunatley do not talk that language here. You would have to rethink that and come back when you learned the right Fordnative grammar.  :002: :003:

Cecil

Danke schoen, Guenter.  The old hot rodder in me wants me to find an old Torino and use the engine and tranny, but I've decided that this car is going to be a daily driver and the extra engine included in the sale is going to work out fine.  I saw it today and though it would be difficult for most non car folks to call it "beautiful"....it is.  It turns over freely, it's all there. 

It's also a 292, it came out of a pickup, it's all set up for power steering (thank you Lord) so it'll take some work and a lot of questions for everyone here on how I make it work...but it's all good.

As to using the C****** word I assume you mean Che....uh...Chev...., well you know.  The thing is that I also have one of them, a '91 S-10 which I bought brand new and that's my parts hauler.  Having said that, I shall never mention it again, nor saying anything about bow ties....*cough*.

djfordmanjack

parts haulers are acceptable. they are good enough for dirty jobs. :002:

depending on what year truck your engine came from there might be some differences to your engine in car. later truck engines do not have a draft tube for crankcase vent, but use a more suitable PCV system off the lifter valley cover. depending whether those vehicles were auto or manual they have different accelerator pedals and bellcrank assemblies on back of engine. the carb jets will be different.
a real 1957 pssgr 292 uses  hi comp (for the time) 312 heads (mostly ECZ-G castings) with the big valves. a later truck 292 will use smaller valves and intake runners in head. you will lose a few horses, but truck blocks and cranks are generally spoken of HD quality castings and you could swap your heads in case. you will also have different motor mounts on the truck engine, but all can be swapped between engines. Make sure to absolutely keep everything of your old block except the smashed block itself. everything will come in handy at a later rebuild.
Y blocks are notorious for top oil starvation. because they have a narrow passage that got clogged in the old times from poor quality oil and paraffine. there are several remedies to that.

you might want to take your time and read these books here:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ford+y+block+book&_sacat=0

I have both and they provide great hands on information, even if you don't plan on full rebuild.

The 'Ford Y block engines' is the more recent publication and what I would recommend first. Then you can never have enough info and the older book also provides great info as well.

Among many others, Jim and Jay are very knowledgable here about Y blocks and I am sure they will come up with many additional info from decades of experience, which books cannot provide. Personally I would love seeing a Y block going back in your wagon.

Cecil

Thanks for the tip on the books, Guenter.  I just ordered both and will read them from cover to cover prior to beginning any engine work.  At this time I'm planning on staying with a Y-Block, if the heads that are on the car now are the higher compression heads and are undamaged I'll likely drop them onto the truck motor.

It must be an earlier truck engine as it does have a draft tube but everything I've seen on the motor it looks to be healthy.  And it is set up for power steering, that is a big plus for me.  I'm already reading the threads that discuss the changes in the steering that will be needed to take advantage of that.

Something like this is daunting, but the help and advise from everyone here gives me confidence that it's not something that I cannot handle, and more importantly, enjoy the heck out of doing.

Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom and knowledge, all of you.   :003:

djfordmanjack

when you have the books, inspect your donor engine and verify what you have, you do not want a 1954 239cui engine, as you cannot interchange parts with later 272 up. also you don't want to use a pre 1957 distributor. there will be lots of information in the books, so you can study the casting numbers on your block heads and intake to find out exactly what you have.

geraldchainsaw

forgive my ignorance,  i'm not a eng guy,.  i know flatheads, 292's, 312's, 302's, 351's but i don't know what a FE is,  enlighten me,  thanks   jerry