News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Helloooooo again

Started by Cecil, 2019-06-24 19:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

I've been off for a while, it hasn't been possible to do anything to my Ford.  I'm working to get a building that the previous property owner half way converted to a Granny Flat to where it can function as a garage.  That will happen soon.

The second hold up has been the fact that the previous owner had a bunch of crap in the car.  Today he came by and picked it up. (HALLELUJAH)

I knew that the front seat was in remarkable condition but had no idea about the back seat.  (It's a six passenger)  Today I got my first look at the back seat and dayum....I'm a a happy camper. 

So far the only thing I can identify as missing the lock for the glove compartment..  The rest of it is there, I just need to get to working on it.  As soon as the Granny Flat is a proper garage and I get my Ford into it...stand back.  I'll keep you updated if you wish.
"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you." - Brother Dave Gardner

RICH MUISE

Good to hear from you Cecil...........very definetly keep us posted. Both those seats look like they will clean up nice.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Cecil

Thanks Rich!  Yep, I was so happy to see no tears, no padding, no springs poking out.  It will need a new headliner and new carpet...and the assorted little parts.  My main focus now is to get it running.

I checked the tranny fluid tonight, it's still bright red, however the oil dipstick is not showing anything and it's smells of gasoline.   :(

The first thing I have to do is get a breaker bar, remove the plugs and see if I can turn the engine.  If not...well the guy that sold me the Ford says he has a 292 that runs...we shall see.

Cecil

Well, I just about have my garage ready and soon, hopefully before the end of the month, will have it ready for my Ford.  I am itching to get to work, but right now she's off to the side, in the sun, and I'm too damn old and it's too damn hot to start taking her apart.  Soon...

In the meantime if any one is in, or will be traveling through north San Diego County, hit me up.  I'd love to talk about '57's with ya.

djfordmanjack

Quote from: Cecil on 2019-07-10 01:22
to start taking her apart.  Soon...

Cecil, let me quote a saying which is quite common here on this forum. DON'T TAKE IT APART !

I did not listen to those tips, before I completely disassembled my Del Rio 4 yrs ago and it is still shattered in a million pieces and who knows when or if it will ever be going back together again. I believe many members have been through this szenario before.

Just take off the car that needs instant repairing. Try to get it running and driving safely as is and work from there. just saying.

iamflashman

Ya, there is a fine line that we walk with these old cars.  Get them running and driving too early, you never get them finished.  Take them too far apart too early, they never go back together.

I am now solidly in the one piece at a time camp for sure.  I can truly say that the cars that I just got running and then worked on over time always gave me the most enjoyment.
1957 Ford Convertible 428CJ/Tremec TKO
1957 Ford Ranch Wagon 5.0L EFI/AOD - sold :(
1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone
1958 Edsel Bermuda

1957 ________________ Ford
\___((_______________))___/
(@)________V__________(@)
[________I_____I_________]
__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___

hiball3985

Quote from: iamflashman on 2019-07-10 07:51
Ya, there is a fine line that we walk with these old cars.  Get them running and driving too early, you never get them finished.  Take them too far apart too early, they never go back together.

I am now solidly in the one piece at a time camp for sure.  I can truly say that the cars that I just got running and then worked on over time always gave me the most enjoyment.
I agree and that how I do it. I still have a lot of little things to do or not and in the mean time I log many happy miles...
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-07-10 03:11
Cecil, let me quote a saying which is quite common here on this forum. DON'T TAKE IT APART !

Good advice!  Once ran across a car that I'd wanted for years.
Oh boy! Then saw that it had been taken apart right down to the smallest details. For example the window crank mechanisms were laying loose inside.  Why?!
Looked like it had sat outside for years. I'm sure it ended up in the dump.  :'(

RICH MUISE

I think there are two camps on this, I'm of the other camp, as usual. Some guys always wanted to build a car, restore it and get it as good as possible on their budget. That was me. It was about the build...a hobby....something to keep my hands busy.
When I first got the '57, I wanted to drive it, and keep it a driver while I fixed things on it. Then I started to go to my first car shows and swap meets. At the car corral at the Tri State Swap Meet in Denver, about '04, I saw a 57 2dr Custom for sale. Had kind of a bland tan color paint, not too exciting, but new and clean. Everywhere I looked on that car was shiney stuff. No painted over screws, no old rubber, no old wires, etc etc. Wow. On the drive home I realized I was never going to be happy until mine was like that. My "fix it up" became a full body off, every nut and bolt. A 10 1/2 year project. Towards the end, I kept wondering what the heck I was going to do when it was done. Now I know.....drive the heck out of it. BUT.......I'd be nowhere near as proud if I hadn't done it the way I did.
Ideally you'd have two cars........one to drive while your doing the restoration on another.
I think Les is in my camp on this as well....had a really nice '57 300, but bought it for a project in retirement. We're watching it go back together now after being blown apart for a frame-off......although his is going together so quickly he may be looking for another retirement project before long, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

It's a real balancing act. I would have liked to start from the ground up but after weighing things out it tilted to the you are too old, too slow and too broke to spend years doing it  :003:
IF I had found a 57 I could afford 20 years ago it would have been different. I decided to spend what time I have driving it, I have other hobbies to keep my hands/mind busy if needed.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Cecil

Thanks everyone, that's a ton of good advice from all and it's based upon experience bringing a '57 back to life, something I don't have.  I have a lot of mechanical experience as a mechanic, tow truck driver, gas station manager and auto body apprentice and have no doubt that I can get it running within weeks of getting it into the garage, but as has been said...I'm too damn old to spend 10 years putting little pieces in boxes and another 10 years taking them back out.

Number one, I want to get it running and driveable.  Second is to slowly bring it back to something resembling original, this will not be a frame off restoration.  If I was still in my 40s...well, that would be different.  What I'm eager to do is the small stuff...repaint the dash, have pitted chrome pieces rechromed, have the rusted panels cut out and new plates welded into place, have the interior work done and to have it repainted just like it came from the factory.  It'll be a daily driver, I don't have time to live with a garage queen.

Again, you've given excellent advice and support and as I move forward I'm going to have questions.  Lots and lots of questions.   :003:

mustang6984

Mot assuredly keep the pics coming. We love to watch things improve and it helps some of us stay motivated. (AHEM) Once I get done with what has become a years long project of moving across the country I will rejoin the fraternity of rebuilding. Until then...I enjoy seeing others get their babies on the road!
Those seats are certainly sweet! Hope you wear them out over the next few years! LOL!!!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ford Blue blood

I'm half way between keep them on the road and keep them in boxes.  Could never afford a complete "nice" car so always ended up with "stuff".  My 36 was a four year project, body off, hunt parts in the ol wrecking yards, got it on the road for the first time in August of 80 and haven't looked back.  It was built outdoors, painted out doors and lived out doors for a few years.  It has had a few "off road" times to fix things that weren't quit right and fix things that just happened (exploding tire).

So the dilemma, how far to go?  Only you can answer that.  The Edsel was a cosmetic restoration.  Body nearly perfect, drive train very nice, paint, brakes, interior, gas tank/lines and seals were all junk.  Hit them all at one time.  Ranchero on the other hand, well the story is on here for it.  For me, my only hobby.  I don't hunt, fish or chase little white balls around the pasture so the only delays I encounter are self induced.  That and I have had a hot rod of one kind or another ready to go.  (Wife says I have too many?)

Got to do pictures!  We all like looking at other peoples stuff and how they are doing things.  Never ever had an idea put down here (except the fellow that wanted the "other" engine advice).  None of us have all the answers and we all need help from time to time.  So please share and enjoy the fruits of your labor no matter which way you go.  Remember, you can eat an elephant, just need to do it one bite at a time......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mustang6984

(what is the best way to cook an elephant anyhow?  :003: )
I fish, but that's about it. I see more people get angry chasing the white balls than relaxed. I think abut my cars when I fish! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker