News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Mz Dayz

Started by Ace Spades, 2020-02-15 20:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Spades

OK the wife named her but, I did the personalized plate.
While this isn't a traditional build thread it's more of a running projects thread.
My plans so far:
15" wheels/tires: Not sure of style, tho I am leaning towards a 15x7 w/ a 4.25 backspace rear and a 15x6 w/ 3.650 backspace for the front. right now
                          undecided on tire size.
Aerostar front spring drop in front, only problem i have with this is the shock brand difference. I would like to keep the branding the same front to rear.
Front Disc brake conversion: right now am leaning to  the Wilwood kit, seems to be the more cost effective/kit out there allowing the use of factory spindles.
Master cylinder: Have seen that the Raybestos MC36222 may work with the Wilwood kit.

Probably 1st on my list before the above is a few small known minor problems when I bought the car:
Fuel gage isn't working. Both tank and sending unit are new so I figure it is just a ground issue.
Speedometer cable needs to be installed. Part is on hand. Just need to move race cars around in my shop to be able to work on the 57. As a temporary fix, I'm using an old phone to run a GPS speedometer app.
Front door lock cylinders do not work.
Radio doesn't work. Actually no big deal. I just use my phone to play music to a pair of bluetooth speakers that also see use in my race trailer and at work.
Wiper motor doesn't work. Have plenty of vacuum. Probably replace with an electric motor in time.

As i work on these projects, I'll post pics. I think I heard somewhere that y'all may like pictures.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

lalessi1

If that is not a typo, the 2.25" BS on a 7" wheel won't fit on the back. 4.25" up to 5.25" is what you need. Love the name!
Lynn

Ace Spades

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2020-02-16 08:43
If that is not a typo, the 2.25" BS on a 7" wheel won't fit on the back. 4.25" up to 5.25" is what you need. Love the name!

It was a typo, should have been 4.25. That's what i get for posting and drinking/  :laughing7:

lalessi1

LOL, I figured it was but just making sure!
Lynn

sprink88

Nice plans! I love my Willwood kit too. I took my booster off and am just using Master Cylinder.  Stops great.
~Chris

lalessi1

I love my Wilwood brakes too, no power booster. I replaced the Torino spindles and disc brakes that came on the car, no comparison IMO.
Lynn

Ace Spades

My plan is to run manual brakes with a dual circuit master cylinder.
Not brake related, I also have to replace a missing gas pedal.

djfordmanjack

be aware that the repro gas pedal sold for 57 Fords are the 1958 design. identical appearance, but the rear is different where it mounts to the linkage. you can make the later design work wiht the older 57 linkage, but you have to take care that it is not binding.

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-02-19 04:21
be aware that the repro gas pedal sold for 57 Fords are the 1958 design. identical appearance, but the rear is different where it mounts to the linkage. you can make the later design work wiht the older 57 linkage, but you have to take care that it is not binding.

Ace Spades   Welcome to the site. You will get a lot of good advice here.

Dj  I'm not very good at figuring out  stuff like that.  Would it you to just come over here and hook it up for me?

djfordmanjack

Jay, can you leave the garage door unlocked, I will get this hooked up for you on Saturday morning... maybe I will have to take it for a test drive around the block....and over to Ferreira's for some gas pedal testing....:003:

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-02-25 17:13
Jay, can you leave the garage door unlocked, I will get this hooked up for you on Saturday morning... maybe I will have to take it for a test drive around the block....and over to Ferreira's for some gas pedal testing....:003:

No need to leave the door unlocked. You know where the key is.   It's a good thing that  you know where to go to do off the road gas pedal testing.   You may have to do it a few times until you get rid of the stale gas in the carburetors.

Ace Spades

I should be starting the first little project this weekend. Ordered shock last Saturday, right now they are sitting in my carport awaiting me to get home from work. Also, ordered the springs Saturday as well, should be here either tomorrow or Thursday. Of cours, pics to follow. Also, my permanent tag came in Friday.

Ace Spades

Have my first project going on this weekend. Shocks and springs arrives Tues and Wed, just waiting on installation.

Ace Spades

Well, got a third of the project done. Did the rear shocks today. The new shocks actually raised the back end up a tad. Need to get the shop cleared enough to get the car in to get the rest finished. Doing rear shocks in the grass is one thing but, not fronts and springs.

mustang6984

Just found the thread. The little bit the shocks raised you up looks good.

Watch out for Gunther...his idea of a test drive could include a scenic trip around Austrian countryside!  :003: Hey G!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker