News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Flamin Mo 57

Started by campy38, 2023-11-13 11:25

Previous topic - Next topic

campy38

Long time reader but first time poster! I am building my dads old 57 I grew up in. He sold it when I was young but I was able to track it down a few years back and it ended up home with me. It was just wasting away in a pasture! I have plans to change some things but can't wait to have it running and driving. I will need a laundry list of parts and will be posting in wanted section as well!

But for now the 70s 460 has been pulled and a friend is almost done rebuilding it. New heads, pistons, 268 comp cam, intake, balanced at a local machine shop, hei distributor, few more small things. Wanting Holley sniper by end of summer.  Should be a runner though!😁

My brother and I have been working on getting engine bay cleaned up enough so I can paint it before stabbing motor back in! Will be ordering brake conversion kit this week so brakes and front end work will be next on list! Here's some photos and I will try to update through the process
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)
"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?"

RICH MUISE

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum!! For a minute, I thought maybe that car belonged to past/late members...........Tom and then his late son Tim, from Vermont. Keep us posted on your progress. What part of this Earth are you in?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

campy38

I'm in NE Oklahoma! It was parked in SE OK for past 20ish years give or take. Been sitting about 10. And I will try to keep this thread updated with photos!
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

mustang6984

Congrats on locating it, and then reacquiring it! Sounds like this spring will be a fun one for you and your brother!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

campy38

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2023-11-13 20:13Congrats on locating it, and then reacquiring it! Sounds like this spring will be a fun one for you and your brother!

Thanks! We definitely have our work cut out for us but super excited! He actually acquired a 56 fairlane 4 door that he is starting process of rebuilding as well! My dad is helping both of us and the 56 is at his house but they're still working on finding a motor for it. They're thinking 351!
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

mustang6984

Nice looker! We aren't far apart...I am over in MO near Berryville AR. Look up Shell Knob Mo.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Awesome family history and great to know it's back with you !
I just love the wild seaweed style flames. it totally fits the car and theme imho. Enjoy !

campy38

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2023-11-14 09:20Nice looker! We aren't far apart...I am over in MO near Berryville AR. Look up Shell Knob Mo.

Not too far about 2ish hrs or so! Once I get her running have to see about meeting up or going to a car show!
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

campy38

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2023-11-14 10:24Awesome family history and great to know it's back with you !
I just love the wild seaweed style flames. it totally fits the car and theme imho. Enjoy !

Thanks! I plan on keeping purple flames once I get to point of paint. I think I'm going to do gray instead of white as a background though!
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

mustang6984

Quote from: campy38 on 2023-11-15 08:17Not too far about 2ish hrs or so! Once I get her running have to see about meeting up or going to a car show!

Indeed! There are plenty of them around here...one every weekend...more than that during the fall.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

campy38

Painting engine bay yesterday. Layed some flat black primer then a light satin black over it. Honestly liked the flat look WAY better so will be respraying it hopefully today or tomorrow.
Had some help already from members here and local tire/front end shop. Turns out front end seems to be okay and I'm just going to replace one lower control arm that's notched.
Also I found a salvage 2 hrs away in Kansas with 5 57s! Including a 2 door and 4 door wagon!
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

mustang6984

WOW! Five 57's in a yard today is rare. Have to keep that in mind.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

Is the salvage yard in  Geneseo Kansas? Roger Vahsholtz? Roger says he has about 50  '57's as I recall.

campy38

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2023-11-20 11:40Is the salvage yard in  Geneseo Kansas? Roger Vahsholtz? Roger says he has about 50  '57's as I recall.
No it's near independence. But that's good to know! I'm prolly going to go see this salvage in a week or 2
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

Fairlane62

Nice project.  I have a big block in my 62 Fairlane, it makes for fun driving. (Not so great on gas mileage)😑. Are you running a manual or automatic transmission?