News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Custom 300 Rehab

Started by fadmon30, 2016-04-28 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic

fadmon30

Glad to hear that Auto city has quality reproduction parts, I will likely go that route.  Sorry if I miss led anyone, I am swapping a 351w, 5.8l, from an 85 f150 with a c6 it is a 4bbl/ 600 holley.  Anybody have info on where to find 15" steel wheels that will work with my 11" dog dish hub caps?

JPotter57

I just searched around the boneyards for wheels.  I found a 70 or so LTD that had the 4.5 bolt pattern, in a 15x5 inch wheel, sort of a rare find.  I also found a 1980 F100 that has the small  4.5" bolt pattern, in 15x7.  The 57 Ford cap snaps on both of these sizes.  They look great on the car, rear tires are 275 60 15, fronts are 215 75 15.  I am happy with the way it looks.  The wheels are not really hard to find, usually at least one or two 1980-81 F100s with the small bolt pattern 15X7 wheels.  They are actually only 15x6 3/4, but its close enough for me.  The tires dont balloon out either.  I also have a set of 28x11 ET Streets (basically slicks with 3 treads) on a pair of 15x7 cop car wheels, however, they dont have the nubs on them to hold the caps, and the center is actually a little too big for the cap anyway.  I mainly use them with my 15x4 American Torque Thrusts for track use.  They fit the car like they were originally designed for it, lots of clearance on both street and track tires.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

fadmon30

Well, it's getting to be that time of year again.  Winter kind of showed up this year, then left, then returned, well you get the idea.  I have been thinking more about getting the 57 road worthy then planning snowmobile rides.  Only have about 250 miles ridden this winter:(  I am going to be in Minneapolis next Friday, the plan is to stop at Autocity and pick up a fuel tank and radiator.  I'm not sure when I will make it south to work on the car but when I do finally get down there I should be able to put the radiator in and fire it up to break-in the cam:)  Then I can load it on a trailer and bring it home, where it will be much easier to work on.  Brakes and lines and it should be nearly ready to start driving back and forth to work.

fadmon30

Hmm, been a while.  Little update, car never made it on a trailer to come home.  Just ran out of time last summer, pregnant  wife that was sick the whole time.  Little one born on Aug 8.  Next thing I knew the snow was flying. 

I did get the radiator and gas tank from Autocity Classic, nice pieces.  Installed them and fired up the car to break in the cam.  Had good oil pressure, charging system worked, found out the mechanical fuel pump is bad and that the metering blocks on the stock holley carb are probably gummed up.  Also, the engine ran warm using the 4 blade fan from the 272y block with a 1" spacer off of the water pump.  Still, broke the cam in and couldn't help myself, had to take it for a drive, even though the only working brakes were the parking brakes.  Drove it down the gravel road, something the car hadn't done in at least 36 years.  The AOD i sourced is questionable.  I knew this, I only paid $50 for it but the kid said it was good.  Hoping it is just that the governor is stuck from sitting. 

In June, I dragged prego and the 2yo down to the fair grounds to finally go to Back to the 50's!  To my surprise, Angie enjoyed it, she didn't care much for all of the people cruising in their cars but as a whole she had a good time.  Henry did great too.  Stopped and talked the guys at Autocity classics and explained to them that even with the large dual core aluminum raidiator the engine ran warm.  That's when I learned they offered the radiator as a kit with a shroud and electric fan.  So i ordered one of those with their relay kit, hopefully this helps.

Maybe this summer is the summer I finally get the car home so I can work on more regularly.  I have a plan for the brakes, i still need to find wheels to fit the T-bird spindles and I have another carb for spare parts.

Next stage is maybe adding powersteering.  I noticed over on Vintage Mustang Forum that electric powersteering is a popular swap using either a toyota column or a saturn vue column.  Has anybody over here tried it?  After reading a couple of threads, it dawned on me that all of the cars that had been converted were floor shift cars.  I think it could be done with a column shifter by moving the bellcrank behind the dash and using a cable to move the shift linkage on the trans.

That is all for now.  Sorry I'm so slow.

fadmon30

Henry liked Mater and the little street rod.  Angie liked the Bus.  Me, well I liked everything.  Truly overwhelming

fadmon30

Mater

fadmon30

Bus

fadmon30

Well, finally got to working on the car again.  I need to get this thing home, no amount of Irish spring soap, dryer sheets or moth balls and traps will deter the rodents in my sisters shed.  Made a new 1" carb spacer that works better with the stock 1985 351ho intake, covers up the egr passage.  Timing set and cam broke in, took it for a short drive.  The 351 runs good but i need to get the TV cable adjusted properly.  The $50 AOD that I bought has all 4 forward gears and reverse!  I couldn't tell before because I had the timing way to advanced and it wouldn't run well enough to get the trans to shift out of 1st gear :075:.  Plan to clear out my 1 stall garage and bring it home this summer yet then I can work on the less important stuff like brakes and suspension.  Speaking of suspension, where ya'll getting replacement control arm bushing and leaf spring bushings/shackles?  The rubber bushings are completely deteriorated and makes the car handle very poorly at speeds greater then 40 (70mph as indicated by the speedo is spooky)

RICH MUISE

That's a solid looking car you've (almost)got there!
I got my bushings from Concourse, but any of the major suppliers like Classic Auto or Dennis Carpenter should have them. Check our list of vendors for links.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

fadmon30

Thanks Rich!  It really is a solid car.  It does need floor pans and the Drivers side head light bezel has a very small rust hole in it.  Otherwise the body and frame are solid.  Doors all open and close like new and all of the trim is in tact and straight.

fadmon30

Well, it made it home.  Now I can go out my back door and tinker on it.  Sure beats loading up tools and driving 300 miles to wrench for a day or 2.  Mice were not kind.  Interior is out, heater assembly is out.  Going to need to patch the fan housing and not sure what I'm going to do with the passenger side fresh air duct.

fadmon30

It's home

fadmon30

Mice

gasman826

Passenger side air ducts are not a typical rust-out item.  Add in the installation of aftermarket AC and many right side air ducts get pitched.  I have at least one if two lying about.  In Minnesota, I sure it would be quicker, easier, and cheaper to find another.  I'm not sure about the other part but I thinking the same thing.

fadmon30

Car has been in Minnesota since early 80s,  stored in a dirt floor pole building,  on a farm.  Originally an AZ car that moved to SD.  The heater fan and cold air duct were packed full of old mouse nest.  Along with the rear seat bottom.  I'm sure that is why it rotted out.  ANy suggestions for an AC system?  I was thinking of going with a Mark IV but am open to suggestions.  I haven't done much searching.  Need suggestions for headliner and seat covers as well.  Thanks