How Thick Are Factory Columns? Electric Assist Steering An Option???

Started by wilnutt, 2018-07-04 06:59

Previous topic - Next topic

wilnutt

Has anyone ever been involved with this type of conversion?

http://www.unisteer.com/electric-power-steering/improved-universal-electra-steer-360w-kit.html

I've been wondering if the factory automatic shifter column could be retained. Since the column would have to be swapped or modified with the borgeson box conversion, I'm wondering if this'll be another solid option. Personally, the only time I have steering issues is under sharp turning situations, anyway. I just want my wife to be able to drive it on occasion. I have electric assist on my little daily driver and it handles fantastic! Anyone have experience with this?

59meteor

I hav not looked into the electric power steering on a 57-59 Ford, but a guy I know has installed electric steering on his 63 Falcon convertible, said it works great. My wifes 2009 Toyota Corolla has electric rack & pinion steering, at first I thought it felt slightly unusual, but now I don`t even notice any real differance between it and my F350 and Ranger, which both have hydraulic power steering. I would have to think if the electric PS fits in a Falcon, it should go into a 57 too.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

My issue with electric power steering is that it doesn't address the painfully slow 4.5 turns lock to lock....
Lynn