News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New to 57 Fords - New Project Car-Pics added

Started by 512Fairlane, 2012-01-15 23:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2012-01-17 08:13
That's a real solid looking car....it's gonna save you hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars having something to start with that good. If this is your first '57, you may want to check with the guys here on particular areas to check real close to see if you have any problems starting.
How thorough of a restoration are you planning? Body off?

Rich, believe there is a thread somewhere that deals with all the common rust areas. I might have started it at least remember being part of the conversation.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

512Fairlane

The previous owner had it painted about 13 years ago but never put it back together.  It had a used lower tail panel installed, small patches in the lower rear quarters and front fenders.  I also noticed a small patch under the rt. headlite bucket.  Aside from the tail panel they all appear to be small patches surrounded by good sheetmetal so I think I'll just look them over really good when I do the body and replace if necessary.  I keep waiting to find something wrong with it but so far I haven't.  I am planning to do a frame off restomodification.

Frankenstein57

Nice car, I've been on the lookout for a 57, 58 ranchero body like that.   Welcome to the club,   Mark

512Fairlane

Here are some pics of the pile of parts that came with the car.  I haven't even had time to dig thru it all yet, but there are parts from at least 3 different 57's, Torino disk brakes, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/512fairlane/sets/72157628920453201/

512Fairlane

Just spent the evening going through some of the boxes that came with the car.  One box has what must be every single piece of rubber weather stripping, window seals, door seals, window felts, floor plugs, etc.  All were Dennis Carpenter pieces.  We totaled all of the parts up and found over $1500.00 in parts new in the bags.  I'm pretty excited now.

512Fairlane

Well we spent a few Sunday afternoons cleaning off the bottom of the car.  Still a lot to do but I can't believe how nice the floors are in this car.  We scraped the body deadener off with a putty knife.  Then I used a wire brush on a drill and guess what was under the dirt.  The original red oxide primer!  I can't believe it.  Here are a few more pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/512fairlane/sets/72157629294135739/

RICH MUISE

Nice and solid..you should be excited. Your existing floorpan looks like the '58 donor car's floorboard I was luck enough to find. When your done scraping, hit it with a sandblaster and a good coat of por15, and it'll still be good 20 years from now.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

512Fairlane

Well we decided to do a 5.0 fuel injected transplant with AOD out of and 89 Mustang.  We picked up the Mustang today.  Now we just have to start pulling it apart.  I plan to use the motor, trans., computer, wiring, etc.  These cars also have a very small diameter brake booster that I might look into using.  Here are some pics of the Stang.  The rolling chassis will be for sale as soon as I get the motor out.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/512fairlane/sets/72157629565986087/

fairlanes

hi im glen from new zealand just wanted you to know that even tho 460 really good engine you would have to own a service station heheeheeeeeee becasue they do gallons to miles not miles to gallons and as for the 302 injected also reaklly good engines and very powerfull but to power weight ratio  would also be very thirsty becasue small engine in big body car and also looks to small in engine bay i would go with the 351 cleveland  i have fitted  few over the years and the are great on petrol and look good under the hood

Frankenstein57

That's good to know, never heard of a 351C as being easy on the fuel.    Mark

57 Ford Kustom

I think it corresponds to easy on the pedal! I know my Windsor sure does like the taste of petro! LOL

Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

clusterbuster

Looks like a real good project, however if I wasn't retired, I would be reluctant to start on it. I am currently doing a Custom 300 4 dr over, but I had the floors and rockers to contend with first. You say you have several grilles. I am looking for a complete grille in real nice shape with no dings etc. Good luck with your project, and do expect to put a ton of money in it, as the aftermarket parts are pretty dear. Also, when I was a teenager, I used to get the upper bell bolts out without lifting the engine forward. I used a very long 3/8 extension and a universal socket to get them out, working from the rear of the tranny. Worked on many 56 and 57 Fords back in the 50's.