News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fairlane Stainless Windshield Trim on a Custom

Started by KYBlueOval, 2017-04-28 16:04

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Several months ago there was a Custom for sale here on the Forum, in N.E. Georgia that had Fairlane Stainless Windshield Trim. I was intrigued by that change , so I made contact with the seller. Turns out the seller and I both grew up in Atlanta and have many mutual friends and acquaintances ........... small world. I told the seller that I'd like to take a look at the car to see how the trim addition was done on my next trip to Georgis, assuming he had not sold the car. Well, he did sell it, but was kind enough to pass on to the buyer my contact information and explained  to the buyer ,what I wanted to see. The buyer lives in Florida and contacted me and has sent me photos of this trim in an E-mail

My limited knowledge, subject to corrections here on the Forum, of the differences between Fairlanes and Customs as it relates to the windshields and the trim, is that the Fairlane windshield is shorter, therefore to install the Fairlane trim on a custom, the "A Pillar" trim pieces would need to be longer. Also, I'm under the understanding that the windshield gaskets are different. The Fairlane  gasket being shorter and being different in regards to the way it is made, to accommodate the Fairlane Trim, vs. the gasket for the Custom and the custom trim. Then there is the rain gutter above the windshield on the Custom, but I'm told it is  not present on the Fairlane.
So , if anyone the Forum would like to see these photos, and see what this looks like and perhaps explain how it can be done, I'll gladly share them, but readily admit I do not know how to post them. I could forward the E-mail and someone smarter than me could post them.
Let me know.
John

RICH MUISE

John, send them to me at richardmuise@yahoo.com
Some day when things settle down on this end (won't be this weekend or next, lol), we'll get you up to snuff on posting pics.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Fairlanes have rain gutters over the windshield.  There are three clips that screw (2 screws each) into the front edge of the gutter.  The Fairlane trim will fit but the rain gutter on the 300 would have to be trimmed off and the A pillar trim modified slightly.  The center part of the 500 upper is long enough to fit in the A pillar pieces to finish the look.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Got the pics, John. I've got to modify them a bit, and get them posted in a day or so....hecktic weekend with the move. Looks really good, btw.

RICH MUISE

Sorry for the delay........old age memory. John emailed me about 20 pics, so I'll pic some, and if there are requests for specific areas let me know.

RICH MUISE

some more.
John.great job looks like it was made that way. I'm surprised at the great fir with the difference in glass heights.

Ford Blue blood

Rich any shots of the drip rail area from the rear?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

I think just one. I didn't post it because when you first look at it, reflections in the stainless make it look like a huge gap, and it isn't.

RICH MUISE

Maybe you meant the driprail in general, not just the corner. looks to fit real tight.

Just a head's up, tommorrow my computer stuff gets packed for the move. May be a week or so before I'm back

Ford Blue blood

Thanks Rich, that was the exact shot I was looking for.  Looks like he trimmed a little extra off the edge that goes around the drip rail on the 500.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Maybe he just removed the corner piece??

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-05-04 09:34
Thanks Rich, that was the exact shot I was looking for.  Looks like he trimmed a little extra off the edge that goes around the drip rail on the 500.
Bill, having now seen the photos, do you have a better idea of how this was done? I'm still puzzled by what I understand to be the height of the Fairlane "A" pillar trim ( Shorter ) installed on the Custom "A" Pillar (Taller).  What am I missing?
What's your thought about the windshield gasket? My understanding is the Fairlane gasket is smaller for the shorter Fairlane Windshield. Can it be "stretched" enough to get around the taller Custom Windshield?
I like the idea of possibly doing this to my Ranchero, and the timing is right, as I have a totally bare body at this point in time and could do it, but I don't fully understand what all is involved and will not proceed unless I know what I'm getting into. Any help from you, or anyone on this great Forum, in understanding how it is done is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

DUH........I had forgot this was the car for sale and not yours. Forget all the "nicely done, John" comments, lol.