News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

DJ, I probably shouldn't have posted those two pics together as I do not believe that is a MKII.
As far as the scoops, I assume they were for the front brakes as there already is an air inlet for the "extractors" above them.
I am no expert but Ford made at least a dozen prototypes before they put the GT40 into production and then went on to produce the MKI, MKII, MKII, MKIV, MKV, the J-car as well as the X1 Roadster.
I can only assume the car above is probably one of the prototypes?
If you look at pictures of the old Gt40's, you'll notice several different styling designs including a "street version" that Ford had planned on, but never produced.

...and the street version:

As you can see, they had all undergone some major styling changes.

"Ford engineers collaborated with the engineer Eric Broadley, owner of the British racecar manufacturer Lola Cars, whose Lola Mk 6 showed great potential but required further development to fulfill its promise. Surrounded by front-engine competition, the mid-engine Mk 6 used a Ford V-8 engine. After making an agreement with Broadley to build the GT40, Ford produced five prototypes and then Broadley opted out of the contract, which led to the establishment of Ford Advanced Vehicles Ltd in England under the aegis of John Wyer, a former manager of the Aston Martin racing who went on to run many a Gulf Oil–sponsored team."
 I believe this was the beginning of Kar-Kraft when Ford moved the program to the US?

I hope this helps....
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

CobraJoe

The X-1 Can-Am Spider:

The GT40 / GT111 prototype: at Le Mans in 1965 wearing number 15 and driven by Maurice Trintignant and Guy Ligier in the American white and blue livery

Ford's X1 Roadster made its final competitive appearance during the lucrative end-of-season Bahamas Speed Week. It was entered for the Governor's Trophy on December 3rd which was a 25 lap race for sports, GT and touring cars. It appears to be modified once again...

Subsequent History
From Nassau, the X1 Roadster was shipped to California where it was handed over to Shelby for assessment.

It was then sent to Kar Kraft in Dearborn and modified to trial a mixture of development parts including a two-speed automatic gearbox.

Once this work was complete, chassis 110 X was kitted out as a 1966-spec. Mk2 Roadster.

Newly configured, it went on to win the 1966 Sebring 12 Hours driven by Ken Miles and Lloyd Ruby.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

djfordmanjack

Thank you for all the great pics and info, Joe !

Yes it appears that hardly two of them ever looked the same. Of course these were race type and track specific setups.

I just love the street version! The pic must have clearly been taken in Dearborn, as the GT is posing on the tell tale concrete turntable for design/press photos.
But it has the typical British cast/chromed license plate letters in the grill. Those letters were usually purchased separately and then bolted onto a (then) black (aluminium) plate. I just absolutely love how they used the GT 40 PR lettering and having them float in the grill opening...that is pure Brit class with the American touch !

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2022-08-28 18:34...and the street version:

As you can see, they had all undergone some major styling changes.

CobraJoe

lalessi1

Great pics again! I seem to remember that Ford did sell a few GT40s for the street...??? probably  a remembering thing.
Lynn

rmk57

I think the GT-40 MK-IV is one of the most beautifully designed cars ever built. The shape still holds up today 55 years later.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

djfordmanjack

All those old race pics are so cool. While in some pics the French Gendarmes are easily recognizable and those pics must be from Le Mans, this here is a very interesting pic as well.
Must be in Germany, as there is a 356 and a 914 in the background, both with Germany plates and the guy with the hat to the right corner of the pic is wearing a typical Southern German or rather Austrian traditional Loden suit. ( made from a special combed wool).

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2022-08-30 00:01All those old race pics are so cool. While in some pics the French Gendarmes are easily recognizable and those pics must be from Le Mans, this here is a very interesting pic as well.
Must be in Germany, as there is a 356 and a 914 in the background, both with Germany plates and the guy with the hat to the right corner of the pic is wearing a typical Southern German or rather Austrian traditional Loden suit. ( made from a special combed wool).

Close....  Ford GT40 - debut race - Hill & McLaren - 1000 km Nurburgring 1964

CobraJoe

Quote from: rmk57 on 2022-08-29 19:15I think the GT-40 MK-IV is one of the most beautifully designed cars ever built. The shape still holds up today 55 years later.

Agreed, timeless

CobraJoe

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2022-08-29 10:22Great pics again! I seem to remember that Ford did sell a few GT40s for the street...??? probably  a remembering thing.

Not sure how many actually were built, although some say the number may be as high as 31? I do know of at least one that went up for auction, chassis no. P/1057, that went up for sale last year in the UK by exotic car dealer Tom Hartley Jr. The MkI was originally sold to Noller Motors of Topeka, Kansas, for $8,750, today it's value is in the $4.000,000.00 range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgYFTjOppzM

lalessi1

That was an AWESOME!!!! VIDEO....
Thanks,
Lynn

CobraJoe

You're very welcome.

CobraJoe

CobraJoe