News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Lots of cool pics today. Interesting how the bodies on that '40 line came down from an upper level.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

very cool. the chrome bumper on the Deluxe still has paper wrapping on the blade but not on bumper horns. we can find a million details in these assembly line pics.

djfordmanjack

Jeff, that is my friend Alex from Bavaria/Germany in his Hemi powered T roadster. picture was taken at a hill climb event in Sweden.
Alex is known as a very fast (but not careless) driver.

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2018-10-15 11:57

CobraJoe

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-10-16 02:19
very cool. the chrome bumper on the Deluxe still has paper wrapping on the blade but not on bumper horns. we can find a million details in these assembly line pics.

...and just the opposite here in '55

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

RICH MUISE

I wonder what the story is behind that last pic. Were the woodies finished by an independent coach company? Sure doesn't look like a typical huge Detroit facility.

djfordmanjack

You made it, Joe....just.... wow. wonder why all those off brands would park in front of the Ford dealership. probably all in a queue for a new FOOOOOOORD..... :002:

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2018-10-17 05:09

CobraJoe

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-10-17 09:13
I wonder what the story is behind that last pic. Were the woodies finished by an independent coach company? Sure doesn't look like a typical huge Detroit facility.

"Today's feature image captured an exceptional day at a Ford agency in Canada. Roger Wood sent in this photograph to a forum and wrote: My father was a Ford dealer in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, from the mid-thirties until the early seventies. In 1937 he had an order from the Provincial Department of Fish and Game for ten station wagons.
The photo of the "Woodies" and what appears to be twenty-one members of the staff, was taken when the ten 1937 Ford Station Wagons arrived at the dealership. The lead car in the photo is wearing a license plate which seems to point to the cars having arrived after a "drive away" by the Dealer and staff from a Ford of Canada distributor or importer.The wheelbase of all of the cars appear to be standard length, which leads to a pair of questions: did the automaker offer a special heavy-duty commercial car chassis for uses such as this? Were the extra-length wooden bodies produced by the Briggs Manufacturing Company that apparently was assembling most of Ford's station wagons at the time, or were some of them produced at the Company's Iron Mountain, Michigan plant that was just beginning to build some production wooden bodies?

CobraJoe

1932 Ford Model "Y"

1938 Ford Cement Mixer

1947 Mercury-Lincoln

RICH MUISE

Suits and ties everywhere.
You're the king of "and now the rest of the story", Joe!
Interesting about the Fredricton Ford dealer. My grandfather had a large farm not to far from there between Moncton and Shediac on the coast. He was also the equivalent of a U.S. senator. He was the first one in New Brunswick to have a new Model T. On Sundays locals from miles around would drive their wagons or buggies to the farm for a ride in the new fangled horseless carriage. Sometime in my youth I saw an old photo my mom had of my grandfather giving one of those rides. Fredricton was not too far, posibly my grandfather did business with the Ford dealership in the woodies picture. He was a Ford guy. I always regretted not being able to converse with him.He was a real gentleman farmer. Neither he nor my grandmother spoke English, and my mom never taught us French. My grandmother, and many of my relatives, was a Cormier......Cormierville is also in that area

Tom S

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2018-10-17 18:451932 Ford Model "Y"
Thanks, Joe, your pix rock.

If you search for theoldmotor.com 1932 Ford Model "Y" that pic does show up in Images for theoldmotor.com 1932 Ford Model "Y"
But has too many louvers in the hood sides to be a model Y, a smaller car built by Ford in Britain, Germany & France. It's really a USA built 1934 coupe as shown here.
http://theoldmotor.com/?p=74923
"Seen above is an example of that year's production, aptly demonstrating both the rigidity of it's frame and body and the flexibility of it's transverse leaf spring suspension."

djfordmanjack

Tom is right. the pic shows a 1934 production model, officially called the MODEL 40 on a 112" wheelbase. Today we refer to them only as the  'Thirty Four', which is not totally correct as the 1933 model was also designated MODEL 40 and has just a few different looking things, that can be spotted from outside like the concave shape grillshell, slightly curved hood louvers, different hood latch and thicker door B posts. Next time you meet Jay, you will have to ask him about Model 40s and I think he can teach you 'a few' things about them... :002: :003:.....we both love them 33/34s, Joe.

There is a long story around that typical flexing suspension advertising. It was also pictured in some of the factory brochures. they built the whole car about this flexible chassis and suspension, which sometimes also can be a pain, when restoring or hot rodding one and you will definitely want to have some sort of boxing plates in certain areas. Now it would be great to discuss all of this but, this is the 57 Forum and we do not want to stray too far from that anyways.

CobraJoe

Thanks for the clarification guys, I learn something new every day. I knew they were made in England, just wasn't sure of the differences. Thought it was just a name change for the same car, much like the T-5 instead of Mustang in Germany.

djfordmanjack

Joe, actually the Model Y was built in England and it was first in 1932. it was a very small British ( and like most other European cars of the time). very compact, much smaller than a T or Model A. it had something like a 75cui Inline four Flathead. It immediately proved successful in Britain, because it was really a modern car for the time. Ford USA observed how the British had a hit coming and according to legend, Edsel himself dictated the 33 US ford being an upscale variant of the British Y. , they did exactly that, but with that amount of refinement, so that they designed the most beautiful car ever built on earth. period. A Model 40 Ford is constant flow, changing lines, crowned panels. aerodynamics, art deco. pure hot rod. elegance, style- you name it, it's got it. I think that there are only 3 straight lines on a 33/34 ford. it's the 3 hood hinges......as far as restoring such a car, it is a drama.....but are they beautiful ? well, YESSSSSS !  :003: