News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Lou

Drum brakes stop faster than disks, disk do not fade with heat, and have fewer parts in production is their advantage.

Tom S

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2019-04-10 05:06
I agree.  I'll admit I have a hard time with the older stuff, and the majority of the older pictures have a mix of brands, but what about to the right?
Uhoh! I did scroll that big pic over to the right but apparently I didn't go quite far enough.  Never saw what looks like a couple of 1930/'31 Ford Tudors & was pretty much focused on what appeared to be the central car/pickup in the pic.
Sorry again, Joe.  How embarrassing.  :-[
Maybe I should smite myself.

mustang6984

Quote from: Lou on 2019-04-10 21:21
Drum brakes stop faster than disks, disk do not fade with heat, and have fewer parts in production is their advantage.

I thought discs were faster due to the lack of fade. And I thought caliper pressure was stiffer than spring pressure. I admit to not being a master brake mechanic by any stretch. so that was my thought FWIW.  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Lou

Drum brakes have more swept area, that's why they are still used on big trucks. Yes drum brakes have a problem with fade when hot, that's why disks became norm for race cars. The fade problem can be helped with the use of hard linings but they need a lot more pedal pressure. Detroit went to disk because of two reasons, they could advertise "Are cars have the same brakes as race cars", and disks have a lot less parts than drum brakes, therefore cheaper to make and assemble. Remember nothing happens in Detroit unless it the law or it saves or makes money.

Cecil

Quote from: Lou on 2019-04-11 00:11
Remember nothing happens in Detroit unless it the law or it saves or makes money.

Bingo.  It wasn't until "safety" became a selling point that folks accepted seat belts, and it wasn't until the gubmint (unless I'm wrong, so feel free to correct me) mandated air bags that we began to see them as standard equipment.  Personally, the first car I rode in that had seat belts was a '64 Impala and I happily put them on.  Now I feel naked without them, which is gonna be a problem with my new baby.

Having said that...what the heck does this have to do with old Ford pics?  More pictures!!!!!
"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you." - Brother Dave Gardner

mustang6984

Quote from: Lou on 2019-04-11 00:11
Drum brakes have more swept area, that's why they are still used on big trucks. Yes drum brakes have a problem with fade when hot, that's why disks became norm for race cars. The fade problem can be helped with the use of hard linings but they need a lot more pedal pressure. Detroit went to disk because of two reasons, they could advertise "Are cars have the same brakes as race cars", and disks have a lot less parts than drum brakes, therefore cheaper to make and assemble. Remember nothing happens in Detroit unless it the law or it saves or makes money.

Okay...makes sense. I am still going to go with a split on my Courier...discs in front and drums in the rear. But I understand what you are saying. Thanks.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

I think 61s are among the most underrated Fords ever. I just love them. great looks and performance.

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2019-04-10 19:24

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

hiball3985

Quote from: Cecil on 2019-04-11 00:21
Having said that...what the heck does this have to do with old Ford pics?  More pictures!!!!!
After you have been here a while you will see many post that only take a slight breeze to knock things off track, and we accept that because we have a great group here :001:
Having said that I used to use Grey-Rock Metallic linings on my old 57's back in the 60's and they STOPPED, and the hotter they got the better they worked. I run disc now on the front and the advantage I like besides no fading is they work much better when they get wet unlike drums..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-04-11 05:07
I think 61s are among the most underrated Fords ever. I just love them. great looks and performance.
I totally agree. The 3spdOD trans in my 57 came out of a friends 61 Starliner, 390/401hp. I'm going to get that car some day  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hemidave

Nice
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

mustang6984

Quote from: hemidave on 2019-04-11 10:24
Nice

Yes...she was! OH...did you mean the car? Yea...it is nice too!   :glasses9: \
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

fdlrc

I saw Bonnie and Clyde's shot-up Ford at the Minnesota state fair in the mid-70s. I think it was a 34. I don't remember any remnants of what looks like old decals or something, that I see in this picture.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco