News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

tore this out of a 1972 magazine this morning.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

Early Model A Ford Station Wagon Nantucket Island MA

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

hemidave

Flying '49s
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

Lou

Note the skid plate on the Ford in the air

CobraJoe

Bondurant and Phil Hill 1964 Targa-Floria

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

hemidave

Curtis Turner
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

hemidave

What a shame......

lalessi1

Curtis Turner's car looks like it is shorter in the back than a stock Fairlane to me...??? Am I crazy (probably). I also see the hood is cracked open. Radiator airflow maybe? I see "Smokeys" as in Yunick? and a Custom rear bumper.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2019-10-25 08:25
Curtis Turner's car looks like it is shorter in the back than a stock Fairlane to me...??? Am I crazy (probably). I also see the hood is cracked open. Radiator airflow maybe? I see "Smokeys" as in Yunick? and a Custom rear bumper.
Smokey would never bend the rules :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

John Palmer

It would be fun to take apart that '57 Ford today, and see just how many things Smokey tweaked!

His most famous "discovered rule interpretation" was when he acquired two brand new Chevelle's to be built into Daytona race cars.  One car was built to pass tech inspection, and the other car was cut apart and then reassemble into a smaller 7/8 scale version to make it have less wind drag on the super speedways.  This was decades before the teams had access to wind tunnels for testing their super speedway cars.

When NASCAR figured it out, they told him to take it home, and never bring it back.  I guess you could give Smokey credit for the use of todays body template's and laser measuring the cars to pass tech.   

Tom S

Quote from: John Palmer on 2019-10-25 11:03
... One car was built to pass tech inspection, and the other car was cut apart and then reassemble into a smaller 7/8 scale version to make it have less wind drag on the super speedways.
I read many years ago that the legend of the 7/8 scale Chevelle was debunked.
Probably not the version I read but has some interesting info about other tweaks to that car.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/01/24/the-infamous-and-incredible-1967-smokey-yunick-chevrolet-chevelle.html
Quote from Smokey at the end of the article:
"... Smokey looked back and said, "this car had power, aerodynamics and chassis. Too bad we never got to run it. I think it might have been interesting. Was this car a cheater? You're goddamn right it was... but not by NASCAR's published rule book in 1968."

I believe that Smokey was the guy that had snaked a very large diameter fuel line all over the underside of one of his race cars to have more fuel capacity than what the rules said about the allowed fuel tank capacity. The rules at the time said nothing about the size or length of the fuel line.  :003:

hemidave

George Bush  1937

John Palmer

Quote from: Tom S on 2019-10-26 00:40
I read many years ago that the legend of the 7/8 scale Chevelle was debunked.
Probably not the version I read but has some interesting info about other tweaks to that car.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/01/24/the-infamous-and-incredible-1967-smokey-yunick-chevrolet-chevelle.html
Quote from Smokey at the end of the article:
"... Smokey looked back and said, "this car had power, aerodynamics and chassis. Too bad we never got to run it. I think it might have been interesting. Was this car a cheater? You're goddamn right it was... but not by NASCAR's published rule book in 1968."

I believe that Smokey was the guy that had snaked a very large diameter fuel line all over the underside of one of his race cars to have more fuel capacity than what the rules said about the allowed fuel tank capacity. The rules at the time said nothing about the size or length of the fuel line.  :003:

I heard another Smokey Story about where he was caught in tech with what they thought was an oversized fuel tank.  In protest, he removed the fuel tank, then drove the car back to the garage showing they still did not catch him with the oversized fuel line.  Quite a guy with think outside of the box.

Lou

Wasn't the 7/8 Chevelle a 1966 model?  I've seen pictures of it next to a fullsize Chevelle, which us how Smokey got caught.

Tom S

Quote from: Lou on 2019-10-26 13:34
Wasn't the 7/8 Chevelle a 1966 model?  I've seen pictures of it next to a fullsize Chevelle, which us how Smokey got caught.
As posted before a 7/8 scale 1966 or 1967 Chevelle never existed.  Photos are easily faked.

From here: https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/the-truth-about-smokey-yunicks-78-scale-chevelle/
"And while the Chevelle(s) was often called a '67 model, even by Smokey himself, all three cars wore '66 bodywork. However, many of Smokey's Chevelle-related capers took place in the 1967 calendar year, perhaps generating some of the confusion. The '66 and '67 models are similar to the casual eye."

"In truth, if Smokey's Chevelle were a true 7/8 size, it would be almost 10 inches narrower and more than two feet shorter than a full-scale version. The wheelbase would be only 100 inches; the track 50 inches. The car would be Vega-sized, not Chevelle-sized, and the scam would be obvious in a rainstorm at midnight."

A lot more that debunk the old 'legend' of a 7/8 scale Chevelle.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Did+Smokey+Yunick+build+a+7%2F8+scale+Chevelle%3F+