News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I bet that was a real Shelby they cut up.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

rmk57

Slamming the brakes on at 120 mph, not the safest thing to do.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Quote from: rmk57 on 2020-08-29 09:18
  Slamming the brakes on at 120 mph, not the safest thing to do.
True, but back then, NHRA Stock and Super Stock classes ran off the NHRA National Records, so running too far under the record to win a round could have some serious consequences. Not only could you get disqualified for running under, but your combination could get "hit" by NHRA. Nowadays, that may mean adding weight or possibly getting "bumped" into a new class if the new factor changed your HP to weight ratio enough, but back then, your car fit into a certain class, and had to weigh the correct amount with that factor, there was no adjusting weight to "fit" the top of a class, or the ability to go into a class above or below your natural class. So a few extra HP "gift" from NHRA could change your car from a killer car that fit at the top of a class, to being rendered non competitive by getting knocked to the bottom of the next higher class. That is why, back in those days guys like Cal Method and Taylor & McNicol kept a yard full of various body styles of mid 60s Chevys, if one good combination got hit, they could swap the running gear, from say the 2 door hardtop, and put it into a convertible, Station Wagon, 4 door, etc and be competitive again. With a car like that 428CJ Mustang and 68 Hemi Cuda, not so simple, so saving your combo was quite important. The Mustang could switch slightly, from plain Sportsroof, to GT to Mach 1, and from Ram Air to non Ram Air, but that was about it. You could have extra coupe and convertible shells laying around, but they were much more expensive than say 65-66 full sizes Chevys. There was a famous top end shot of Jim Van Cleves 427 Fairlane with Dave Boertmans "Rod Shop" Challenger at the finish line, with tire smoke billowing from both cars front tires, for that very reason.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

very interesting info !

Quote from: 59meteor on 2020-08-29 10:47
True, but back then, NHRA Stock and Super Stock classes ran off the NHRA National Records, so running too far under the record to win a round could have some serious consequences. Not only could you get disqualified for running under, but your combination could get "hit" by NHRA. Nowadays, that may mean adding weight or possibly getting "bumped" into a new class if the new factor changed your HP to weight ratio enough, but back then, your car fit into a certain class, and had to weigh the correct amount with that factor, there was no adjusting weight to "fit" the top of a class, or the ability to go into a class above or below your natural class. So a few extra HP "gift" from NHRA could change your car from a killer car that fit at the top of a class, to being rendered non competitive by getting knocked to the bottom of the next higher class. That is why, back in those days guys like Cal Method and Taylor & McNicol kept a yard full of various body styles of mid 60s Chevys, if one good combination got hit, they could swap the running gear, from say the 2 door hardtop, and put it into a convertible, Station Wagon, 4 door, etc and be competitive again. With a car like that 428CJ Mustang and 68 Hemi Cuda, not so simple, so saving your combo was quite important. The Mustang could switch slightly, from plain Sportsroof, to GT to Mach 1, and from Ram Air to non Ram Air, but that was about it. You could have extra coupe and convertible shells laying around, but they were much more expensive than say 65-66 full sizes Chevys. There was a famous top end shot of Jim Van Cleves 427 Fairlane with Dave Boertmans "Rod Shop" Challenger at the finish line, with tire smoke billowing from both cars front tires, for that very reason.

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

mustang6984

Yes...she did!!!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hemidave

hemidave

Custom '57

fdlrc

That cage is something else; I wonder if they're going for a caged lion theme?? At any rate it should keep the claws of the public at bay!
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

59meteor

Nah, it was probably to keep the public safe from those damn Hot Rodders!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hemidave

I found out the picture of Tony Bachiero's '57 Ford was taken Sept 5, 1959 at the Disneyland Car Club Day in the Holidayland section of Disney.

hemidave

Brazil 1957 Sao Paulo State Police with their new E-codes

djfordmanjack

WOW, can you believe that !!!!

that sure is a lot of 4dr Custom model E codes !!!!! crazy !