News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heater core questions

Started by dungbeetle07, 2018-10-12 12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I have seen a heater core that doesn't have a valve mounted the same way as the original factory heater. Maybe this would work with an inline control valve of some type...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heater-Core-Ford-49-49600-1/174311724469?fits=Year%3A1957%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item2895c9d5b5:g:YJ8AAOSwo4Re38GI
Lynn

59meteor

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2020-12-27 01:46
Yes, I remember. FE FORUM participation was quite a while ago.

Did you find the info you needed?

ADDENDUM (Fr. For I Forgot) BTW - Are you still racing? I bet a 428CJ is a treat in a '57 ...  :002:
Yes, I am still racing the same Fairmont that I have had for the past 35 years.The car only has a roll bar, so when I started running a few 9 second ETs with it, the Tech guys told me to either slow the car down, or upgrade the chassis/cage and get all the extra mandatory safety equipment, chassis cert,  etc. Since I didn`t want to spend several thousand dollars, which would also make it much harder to get strapped into the car by myself, I elected to slow the car down. So I pulled the 427FE out, and installed the 331 SBF from my 85 Mustang. Still runs mid to low 10s, which if fun to drive with the 4 speed. I sold most of my FE stuff since I was making a 4000 mile move across Canada, and didn`t want to make the trip more than once. I don`t have a 57, but I do have a 59 2 door sedan with a 428 CJ and Toploader 4 speed. Mostly just a street cruiser, but I will race it occasionally. Just had it out to the track once this year, between wheelspin, wheelhop, and carb issues, it only ran a 14.3ET, well off what it should run once I get if figured out a bit. I will look into those heater restrictors, once I am able to find a new heater core. Do you have a part number, or vehicle application that uses them with a 5/8" heater hose? Do I need 2, or just 1? And if one is sufficent , which side does it go into?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

KULTULZ

QuoteI will look into those heater restrictors, once I am able to find a new heater core. Do you have a part number, or vehicle application that uses them with a 5/8" heater hose? Do I need 2, or just 1? And if one is sufficent , which side does it go into?

I am at a disadvantage here as my main computor is presently in ICU and I don't have all my references.

The yellow restrictor is a 5/8" I believe. Here is a source - https://lmr.com/item/LRS-18599A/79-04-Mustang-Heater-Core-Flow-Restrictor

Make sure you ask before purchase. The restrictor is placed in the supply side heater hose as close to the engine as possible and has to be held in place with a clamp on the outside of the hose to keep it from moving.

Here is a discussion you might enjoy - https://www.fordfe.com/anybody-use-a-restrictor-in-their-heater-hoses-t75903.html

It would have broken my heart to part with all that FE parts like you did.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

59meteor

Kultulz, yes, it was rather tough watching a lot of FE stuff that I had been gathering over many years getting loaded up and leaving, but in a way, it was also strangely a relief. Much of this FE stuff I had just been sitting for many years, the standard bore 428 CJ that I installed in my 59 had been sitting in my garage over 30 years, and the heads on it I have owned since 1975, so in one way, it felt good to years finally be putting these parts to use, rather than have them stay in the garage for many more (hopefully!) years, doing nothing, until my wife has to deal with it all in an estate sale! Selling my 427 was the toughest part, to finally have a real 427 side oiler after so many years of wanting one . But again, the last time I used the 427 was 4 or 5 years ago, and to ship thousands of pounds of mostly cast iron engine parts 4000 miles would be quite costly, and as it was, my truck, trailer and shipping container were already overloaded. Sad thing is, I was constantly complaining about having no working room in the garages that I had over the years, with all this stuff, now I finally have a shop big enough that stuff wouldn`t be in the way, but most of the stuff is gone! I will certainly look into the heater hose restrictor, although I wonder if I could make a bushing of the same ID that could be pressed into the heater hose tube on the engine, to reduce the flow, and eliminate the appearance of an extra hose clamp that would be used to hold the plastic restrictor in the hose?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

KULTULZ

Quote... although I wonder if I could make a bushing of the same ID that could be pressed into the heater hose tube on the engine, to reduce the flow, and eliminate the appearance of an extra hose clamp that would be used to hold the plastic restrictor in the hose?

It makes sense to me. You must be as as CDO (correct alphabetical order of OCD) as I am.

Don't forget, FORD HP engines of the late sixties also used a crimped HEATER OUTLET FITTING (18599) @ the intake manifold to lessen flow rate.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

gasman826

I finally remembered to take a picture of the manifold heater hose nipple (pressure side).  The nipple is on 1967ish 427 side oiler MR with Tunnel Wedge intake.  Was this fitting original?  Who knows?  I have seen these nipples on other FEs but mostly pre-'65.  I think heater cores got stronger in the late '60s.  Not saying these didn't exist, but I just never seen one on Windsor or 385 engines.  The hole is choked down to 1/4". 

KULTULZ

I'm sorry, I didn't fully explain what I described. CRS.

Below is a photo of what I was describing as installed on a BOSS 302 engine of the period. The inlet was crimped slowing the flow/pressure to the heater core.

This design simplifies the concept.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

Ford Blue blood

That nipple was on all three Bird 390s I built, even the 65 I have.  Never understood what was up with the small diameter outlet before.  Just put it back on because it was there when they came apart.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

This whole thread is incredible! I have never heard ANYTHING about ANY of this.... Is it just an Ford issue?
Lynn

KULTULZ

QuoteIs it just an Ford issue?

I don't know for sure but would think the problem was prevalent across all HP makes.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

hiball3985

This has been really interesting. My FE has no type of restriction, I'll have to look into that, seems like a good idea.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KULTULZ

Quote from: gasman826 on 2020-12-29 15:48

I finally remembered to take a picture of the manifold heater hose nipple (pressure side).  The nipple is on 1967ish 427 side oiler MR with Tunnel Wedge intake.  Was this fitting original?  Who knows?  I have seen these nipples on other FEs but mostly pre-'65.  I think heater cores got stronger in the late '60s.  Not saying these didn't exist, but I just never seen one on Windsor or 385 engines.  The hole is choked down to 1/4".

Yes, that is OEM and THANX for bringing it to attention. I had no idea one existed.

PN is C1AF 18599-A if one is lucky enough to find one NOS or take-off. It was used on the SPEC ENGINES only.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

terry_208

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2020-12-31 09:49
It was used on the SPEC ENGINES only.

What is a SPEC ENGINE?
Terry

KULTULZ

Quote from: terry_208 on 2020-12-31 12:51

What is a SPEC ENGINE?

FORD termed their HP FE Engines SPECIAL in cataloging in the sixties. They are much different from the 352/390 street engines. Used unique parts. A way to differentiate for PARTS/SERVICE.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

gasman826

usually painted black...289 HiPo. 427, 390 HP, 406...rumor or truth?