News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hood hinges

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-12-19 18:47

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Since I took my car apart sooo long ago, and don't have worthwhile pics, or the chassis manual that shows front assembly....I'm probably gonna be driving you guys nuts with questions since I'm getting closer to putting on front sheetmetal.
Here's a question: I took my hood hinges apart for painting (still not painted, but they are sandblasted and primed), and temporarily putting them on the core support I realized something was missing. I have the springs and the spring cap, and of course the hinges, but what holds the spring in place. I'm figuring there had to have been a clevis type pin that went thru the hinge/bracket and thru the slot in the spring"bar" below the spring cap. Is that correct? were they just clevis pins as I am guessing?
I found some hitch pins @ Gebos that are the right size for it, but have no clue what happened to whatever was in there originally. I could not find any clevis pins long enough.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Rich
    I'll try to get some pictures of my spare set and post them tomorrow.  Jay

RICH MUISE

Thanks Jay..appreciated. I did post an edit w/ pic of what I got that I think is in the correct spot.

JimNolan

Hope this helps.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Yes.....thanks for posting. Confirms what I thought. The hitch pins will work just fine until I find some clevis pins long enough. Thanks for posting those Jim.
Rich

jumping jack flash

Hope you don't mind my hi- jack , but while we are talking 57 ford hood hinges.... The sound of closing and opening a 57-59 ford hood is distinctive and if I were blind I would know what makes that sound. Is there any way of silencing it without having it dripping oil?  The sound is awfully close to fingernails on a chalkboard....all from my favorite car. :burnout:

suede57ford

Spray White Lithium Grease on the slotted strips tha truns through the springs will really quite it down.  You can get to the slots while the hood is closed as you can see them through the grille, and an additonal spray from the top of the higes with the hood up.  Spray White Lithium is good to use as it dries on the outside, WD40 is only a temoporay fix on anything as it evaperates away, that is why they use White Lithium on door tracks etc. 

If it doesn't screetch when you open the hood its not a '57 Ford.   Actually the sound can be almost eliminated if lubricated in the right areas.   
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Rich
     It looks like you have the answer already but I'll add these to the mix.   Jay

RICH MUISE

Thanks for posting yours, Jay. From the end looking into the hinge bracket, I can see where not only the slotted bar may be the cause of the screachy noise, but also the end of the spring cap that probably is rubbing against the bracket. Hmmm...I once had some 1 1/2 wide mylar tape I could glue to the inside if the housing after painting. It was like a veneer.
The sheetmetal industry uses a nylon edge protector when they make cabinets that wiring passes thru that could be put on the edges of the slotted bar....or just white lithium like Pat mentioned.

wighty

For what it is worth, I really did not like the Hood Spring noise and so replaced the stock coil springs with aftermarket Gas Springs.  It was fairly simple and just required a couple of modifications.  It is totally quiet now.

hotroddonnie

WOW! What a great idea. Will I do mine?....No. Would I have if I had seen this before I finished?....Yes!

Ecode70D

Wighty
     That's a great idea.   Looks like you did some thinking to come up with that idea.

RICH MUISE

Awesome...that was great idea....what did you make the bottom piece from? I don't suppose you took some step by step photos you'd like to share?  I'd sure like to steal that improvement. I can see the pn on the lift, so that's a help. Since you said it was totally quiet now, I assume you've got it installed and the travel / compression on the lift is adequate.?

hotroddonnie

It took so long to line up the front of my body that I'm afraid to redue anything! I have an extra set in the shed, so maybe someday but not anytime soon. They do make a lot of noise....see the look on peoples faces when you open the hood, they all step back.

wighty

I am glad there is an interest in this modification.  The silence is wonderful when the hood is going up and down.  I am sure that someone has done this before.  I will take some pictures in a couple of days.  My Custom 300 is still under construction but I have mounted the hood on the modified hinges on the car and tested for travel and spring rate.  The hood lift feels the same as the old coil springs to me. I purchase the gas springs from McMaster-Carr and chose the 130 lb. size. their part number is 9416K24. They have a 3.15" stroke. They cost $12.40 each. I also purchased the top Ball Joints, part #59935K72 from McMaster.  They cost $6.00 each. I will take pictures of the two mounting parts that I made in my machine shop. They are very simple and could be done several different ways. Just need to be creative.