News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford w. FE Motor Header Information

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2010-06-27 08:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

So far, here's what I have learned.  My car uses stock suspension with a 1958 steering box and stock 1957 Ford Y-Block clutch linkage.

1. GT 390 and CJ exhaust manifolds will work with an automatic if you have the matching cylinder head exhaust bolt pattern. They clear the engine and frame, but the driver's side exhaust outlet interferes with the stock 57 clutch linkage even with minor modifications.  I think you could make linkage that would work but you need to be into pain and suffering.

2. Crites headers require the installation of a modified cross member and oil filter relocation or adapter.  They also hang pretty low.

3. 1966-67 Fairlane 390 full length tube headers come close, but some tubes needs to be modified and the cross member is a problem similar to the Crites headers.

4. I haven't tried them myself , but people who have tell me cast iron 406 exhaust manifolds (short) and 427 manifolds (long) can be made to work with a lot of effort.   Serious frame notching and/or welding of the cast iron will be required.  I also suspect you may have a transmission cross member problem similar to above.

The FPA shorties seem to be the best all around option.  They cost a fortune ($750 ceramic coated and delivered to me in Florida).  I have been sent pictures of the installation in a 1957 Ranchero with an FE motor and stock clutch linkage.  One minor modification to the z-bar is required.  Other than that, they look like a good option.  Because they are shorties, an exhaust system fabricator can work around the cross member problem.  

Hope this helps someone else. I'm ordering the FPA shorties on Monday and will add to this post after I have them installed.

Frankenstein57

I have a pair of cast iron manifolds from a 69 390GT ranchero, they look very similar to the 406 shorties. Has anyone tried these? I would think that ford used them on a few other cars too. When I dirt tracked my 58 with a 427, we used 406 shorties. I don't know why they fit other than the car was pretty stripped. We ran stock motor mounts/ location. And a three on the tree, stock clutch crank. The chevy guys always bitched about the ford manifolds being an unfair advantage , we had a no header rule back then. Good luck, Mark

shopratwoody

I run the fpa shorties now because of the lowered car. If my car
sat higher I'd go back to custom made headers. The manifolds
are way over priced I think. No header guys around?
I hate blocksanding!

Ford_Crazy

The price seems high to me also.  From the pictures they sent me, the quality looks good.  Seems like anything for a Ford FE motor has artifact value added to it.   

jwtdvm

look into hedman headers--I have a set on my fe powered 57---application is for a 58 352 car--they do have them and they fit pretty well--is kinda awkward getting pipes over the tranny cross-member but all full length headers are on these cars---may have to talk firmly to the hedman counter man as at first they say no such animal but it is there---you know the other thing I did was make a mount that bolts to the frame instead of constantly "unbolting " the cross member--a stripped nut in the frame just waiting to happen--then I modified the cross member by welding on new ends that sit on the fabbed frame mount---I just know in putting this car together I saw myself installing and removing the cross member many times and those 60 year old nuts in the frame scared me.  if you do that you could even fab the whole cross-member and "notch" them so the headers/exhaust pipe could run straight in the cross member area instead of a sharp bend up and over the crossmember

wildhog

I RUN THE FPA SHORT HEADERS IN MY 57 RAGTOP. 390 -C6 2X4'S . THIS IS THE ONLY ONES THAT WOULD CLEAR THE CONVERT. FRAME . I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE FIT. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JPotter57

http://summitracing.com/parts/HED-85245/

All I gotta say is holy crap!  And not even ceramic coated?  700 bones is a lot for a set of bare steel headers man...I think at this point the best deal is the FPAs for the quality or Crites for the price.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford_Crazy

My FPA headers where shipped today.  Should be here this coming week.  You can order the headers bare for less money.  The $750 includes ceramic coating. 

JPotter57

I meant those Hedmans from Summit...I knew the FPA headers were ceramic coated for 750, which is a bit of money, but they look nice and fit great...Not so sure about the Hedmans...
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford_Crazy

My FPA headers arrived and I put them on this morning.  The quality of these headers is unbelievable.  The mounting flanges must be 7/16" thick.  I had to make one minor modification to the lower Z-bar arm, but other than that they fit great. Check out my log at http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/57ford/fpaheaders.html for pictures.

JPotter57

Old, loud, and fast.

Bubba

That's one sweet looking set of headers!!!
They appear to have been well worth the money.
BuBBa

F570RD

I talked with Stan at FPA three months back.I surprised your set doesn't have the last dog leg to them as to bring the pipe hook up under the toe board.Mine,for a 460,are a bit longer and I thought he was doing this with the FE stuff too.I haven't been out in the garage in two weeks.All I got'a do is install the distributor and its done.Still thinking of our friend just across the river from me with his wrecked 57.People are drive'n so retarded on the streets these days.

Ford_Crazy

The header extensions are not installed in my pictures. The drivers side extension is curved to bring the pipe under the floor board.  I didn't realize all the problems routing the FE headers around the clutch linkage and cross member. Big blocks have been swapped into 57 Fords ever since they were made.  Back in the sixties, I remember many a 427 powered 57.  I'll bet some old header manufacturer has the patterns and they are out of production.  At this time it looks like Stan's are a good option.

F570RD

"I'll bet some old header manufacturer has the patterns and they are out of production". In the mid 70's I was told of Ballinger Headers on the west coast were what I needed.No longer around even then. At this time it looks like Stan's ARE the best option for street use for sure.