News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

PCV vs Draft tube

Started by junior58, 2014-10-29 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

junior58

Is there a kit available to convert from the road draft tube to a PCV system to fit the Y block, or do I have to make something up. Any tips on how to make one if a kit is not available?
Edit:
Had some quiet time so Googled it, looks pretty simple really - PCV valve in valley cover or rocker cover to a vacuum fitting in the manifold, block off or remove the draft tube.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

sprink88

Yep, you got it Junior. I also used a fuel pump block off plate to block the road draft tube
~Chris

junior58

Where would you think the best place would be to put the PCV valve, in a rocker cover or the valley cover? I'm doing this with the engine in place, without having to take too much off. I would think a rocker cover would be the easiest as I can take it off to drill it and clean it up. Or is the valley cover the more efficient option?
Steve McKnight

lowrider

I put mine in the valley cover. If you put it in the rocker cover you'll have to add a baffle under the PCV valve so it won't suck oil thru the valve. Valley cover already has a baffle.

hiball3985

The best way to put it in the valley cover is to find a 62-64 cover that is built for the PCV system, thats what I used on my 292..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ford-y-block-intake-valley-cover-/361095345837?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5412f5b6ad&vxp=mtr
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

sprink88

I would snap up that valley cover Junior. 10 bucks is pretty good. Gaskets can be ordered from any parts store or online too. Just need a new intake and valley cover gaket
~Chris

junior58

10 bucks is good but as I am in NZ, shipping is about 40 (that's US dollars, in NZ dollars it will work out closer to $70) Still worth considering though, thanks.
Steve McKnight

DanTudor57

@sprink88, Did I read that correctly -- the fuel pump block off plate is the same bolt pattern and size as the road draft opening?

Junior -- I just had the ACE valley cover sent to me from New Zealand. A very nice cover. His price shipped was less than a comparable cover stateside. Ace also included polishing, which would have cost me another $100 here. . Shipping was pricey, for sure. It was well worth it though!

junior58

Yeah, Jimmy from ACE does a nice alloy valley cover as well as rocker covers, I had considered them so i might go back out there and have another look - he's in the same area as me.
Steve McKnight

hiball3985

Quote from: DanTudor57 on 2014-11-26 00:11
@sprink88, Did I read that correctly -- the fuel pump block off plate is the same bolt pattern and size as the road draft opening?
The bolt spacing is the same. A fuel pump block of plate may need to be trimmed a little for length..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

DanTudor57

Well I picked up a small scrap of 6069 to fabricate the a plate to block off my road draft tube. I headed int the garage where I have a rust frozen 292 I've been using to mock up a few projects-- t5 conversion, new alternator brackets, new power steering brackets.. I sit my cold arse  down on my roller seat to make a pattern out of cardboard. "Silly Me" I think. I'm on the wrong side of the engine. So I roll myself over to the other side... it isn't there! "What the Heck"  I say out loud, this time I'm annoyed at my bad memory. So I go back to the other side. DAMN.. this is 60's block and doesn't even have the opening for the road draft tube. Apparently I was really annoyed because even my 8 year old later asked way I was talking "angry" to my car engine.

Junior58 -- I am still contemplating Jimmy's Mercury script valve covers. When we purchased our '57 back in the very early 80's it had Mercury script tin covers. They were too beat up to salvage, but I recall as a 10 year old kid, they along with the tudor' side stainless were the two things I really liked about  my big brother's junky car.. I still have them around, but run tbird covers now.  If Jimmy's cast Merc  covers are anything like the valley cover, I know I would be very happy with them. Now I just need to sell off some of my stash to pick those up.

VwDrvFnd

Here is some info i have found.

PCV setup

Here are pictures of a couple of pcv valve installations that were performed recently. This is reasonably cut and dried if you?re already using the valley cover that accommodates the rear road draft tube. Simply knock down the stud boss in the center of the hole and install the appropriate sized rubber grommet. The PCV valves I?ve been using lately for the Y conversions are the Microgard PCV-202 or Fram FV197. The hose for the valve simply hooks to the back of the carb or to a port in a spacer under the carb.

NOS FORD THUNDERBIRD B5S6869A 1955-1957 55 56 Y BLOCK CRANKCASE BLOCK OFF PLATE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311186714395#ht_453wt_685

Any you will need a valley pan that looks like this

Hope this help's someone!
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

hiball3985

Thanks, I bought the block off plate as mine is home made right now..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Make sure that "box" under the PCV valve is full of stainless steelwool so all the oil don't get sucked out and burned up.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II