News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Exhaust Manifold Temp Reaches 700 Degrees

Started by AreyD70, 2021-08-27 08:14

Previous topic - Next topic

AreyD70

I have had my 57 for two years now. It runs great, but the exhaust manifolds get very hot, reaching around 700 degrees. They are the original manifolds. And the intake manifold ports directly under the carb are darkened from the heat. I've read that the intake manifold discoloration is normal for these engines. But is the heat from the exhaust manifolds normal? The car has the 312 bored 30 over with a 3/4 performance cam. Nothing crazy. It has the 3-speed manual and the Ford 4100 carb. The ignition has been replaced with an electronic distributor, still keeping the coil and ballast. I have Autolite 46 plugs in it. Any info is greatly appreciated!

KULTULZ

Quote from: AreyD70 on 2021-08-27 08:14
I have had my 57 for two years now. It runs great, but the exhaust manifolds get very hot, reaching around 700 degrees. They are the original manifolds. And the intake manifold ports directly under the carb are darkened from the heat. I've read that the intake manifold discoloration is normal for these engines. But is the heat from the exhaust manifolds normal? The car has the 312 bored 30 over with a 3/4 performance cam. Nothing crazy. It has the 3-speed manual and the Ford 4100 carb. The ignition has been replaced with an electronic distributor, still keeping the coil and ballast. I have Autolite 46 plugs in it. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Is the DIST BRAND NAME or from the MING DYNASTY? Usually overheating as you describe is from late IGN TIMING. You may have to have the DIST CURVE verified/correct IGN TIMING.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN