News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Uh Oh - plastic speedometer gear in Fordomatic

Started by jhicks5, 2022-05-19 13:14

Previous topic - Next topic

jhicks5

Uh Oh - plastic speedometer gear in my Fordomatic popped off the speedo cable and dropped inside the tailshaft housing.  I fished around hoping to get a magnet on the metal clip but quickly decided it was a lost cause.

Is there enough room in there for the speedo gear to sit below the shaft inside the housing and not cause problems? Anyway to get it out short of removing the tailshaft housing?  Can I drive it even a few miles to another location where I can work on it?

gasman826

You would likely get away with driving.  Plug the speedometer hole.  The down side of driving is the plastic gear might get damage.  If the gear gets damage, where do the pieces go.  I think the governor or the rear pump will grind up the gear.  The screen/filter will should catch the pieces.  Normal service should cover it.

It's a long shot but try a vacuum hose.  The gear might stick to it.

ROKuberski

I don't remember what the tailshaft is like on the FordOMatic, but I did the same thing with my AOD.  Only a few bolts to remove and I had the tailshaft off and retrieved the gear.  I did not do a good job of putting on the clip that holds the gear to the cable.

As noted below, you may get away with not removing it, but I would get it out of there just to be safe.

jhicks5

Thanks. I trailered it to the shop to be safe.  Will be pulling the tailshaft housing and see what i find.  The speedometer did not work before my little blunder, perhaps because I used the same cable and driven gear from a 3.03 3-speed on the newly installed Fordo.  Under Transmission Swaps I posted seeking help on getting the right gear and cable.