News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Alternator Wiring

Started by flatbedfred, 2024-04-05 19:05

Previous topic - Next topic

flatbedfred

On my 57 Skyliner I have an alternator, a Motocraft, maybe a 3G. Anyhow it has a wire that goes to the GEN light in the dash. As I understand it, the alternator is first energized by the generator bulb through that wire. That is all good except what happens when the bulb burns out? That would be a poor design to rely on that. So I located a wiring diagram and indeed that bulb should  have a 500 ohm resistor in parallel with it. I will check my car but I would imagine that resistor isn't there as it wouldn't have been part of the original setup. I will be adding a resistor.

59meteor

I can`t speak to additional resistors, but I have had a Motorcraft 3G 130 amp alternator in my 59 with a 428 for 5 years now, and it works fine, and the GEN light in the dash functions as it should, so I have never added anything under the dash.  IF the GEN light ever burns out, I will just replace the bulb.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

flatbedfred

Yes they are a great alternator. I posted this because if one were on a trip away from home, a failure of the bulb would prevent the alternator from working, as I understand it. When they were used as original equipment, I would say that they had the resistor in parallel with the bulb. I am going to wire mine in under the hood.