News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tire balancing

Started by Randyh, 2016-10-06 20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Randyh

I will be getting tires mounted soon and was asked if I was going to use hammer on weights, stick-on weights or ceramic beads the go inside the tires.  I don't want to use hammer on weights for obvious reasons and the stick-on would not be original, so I was considering the ceramic beads.  Has anyone used beads and how did they work?  One vendor of these I found is innovativebalancing.com

RICH MUISE

I did the stick-on with my obviously not eom wheels, but I'm curious what the problem is with the hammer on type...they were used for decades.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Randyh

Didn't want the paint damage and they are ugly.

Lou

Mount the hammer on weights on the inside of the rim.

BBoswell

Yes . . . I tried the beads on my t-bucket with motorcycle wire wheels on the front and they sucked. You can't beat the hammer on weights . . . just do what I do and what Lou suggested and put them on the inside of the rim.

hiball3985

Putting them on just the inside is fine if you just cruise around town. You can't properly balance a tire dynamically with weights just inside. I drive at hiway speeds and have weights on the inside and outside of my Cragars and don't care if it is ugly..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

A good spin balancer has settings to allow positioning of the weights to hide the weights and still get a good balance.  My Snap On balancer has settings to position 'hammer' weights on the inside bead and stick on weights in the center where they don't show.  Now, the other challenge is to get an experienced tech to do the job.  One of the reasons I own a balancer.  Most shops that sell aftermarket wheels have experience with hiding weights.  I've used beads inside the steer tires on semi trucks with success but smaller tires turn faster and need a really good balance.

Lou

I was taught years ago by and old-timer how to use a bubble balancer  I will go up againce anyone who uses a spin balancer. I've managed to bring into balance 6 or 7 cars that spin balancing couldn't get right. I know that spin balancing is thought to be the better way because it balances all moving parts but in the real world it doesn't always work.
I run my cars at highway speed and have never had a problem with tires with weights only on the inside. 

SkylinerRon

If a lot of weight is called for try breaking down the tire and rotating 180 degrees on the rim.

Ron.

Randyh

Haven't received much positive feedback on the beads,  seems like they may work better on large diameter tires, i.e., truck tires.  Guess I will have to put weights on inside of rim like you recommended.

Zapato

There is a bubble balancer for sale over on the HAMB  real cheap. In the parts for sale in the classifieds  posted yesterday. If anyone is interested not mine.

Zap -  :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72