News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

media blast or acid dip?

Started by Frankenstein57, 2007-03-06 19:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

I am considering options for paint/rust removal on my project ranchero. I visited a shop today where they acid dipped a 70 el camino,nice job,got everything right down to bare metal. A bit pricey 1350 for the body,75 each additional door ,fender ect. The guy doing the work says it creates alot of extra work as all the seam seal and filler is gone. Sure makes the body repairs nice having clean panels to work with. He had another car media blasted for 675 and was happy with the work. I should mention this is a midwest car and probably not as nice as some of the stuff you southern or west coast guys work with. Anyone had expierience with either method? I have also heard of walnut shell blasting.  Thanks for the help,Mark

RAWms

The concern I have heard about dipping is the assurance the chemical is neutralized.  Other wise it will keep eating away.  I'm not sure I would want all the sealant removed if building a driver for all kinds of weather.   Sand generates heat and offers the opportunity to warp the metal.  On my '40 I did sand blast areas that would not receive color; inside or out.  Media blasting is the one that seems to generally positive except for cost of course.   Keep us up to date on the progress and how it goes, r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

Frankenstein57

My painter was over yesterday, he brought up a good point- if you acid dip you will remove all the paint & primer from hard to reach areas. You will never get paint on alot of inner jams , cowls, and any spot with a double wall. The guy I saw who dipped his elcamino has pretty deep pockets, he is shipping the car to Michigan for a primer dip when his bodywork is completed. Looks like I  answered my own ?  Mark

shopratwoody

I had my Hood dipped, before it could be louvered. They also dipped in a preservative that didn,t rust.
It was sometime from louvering to primer and it never started to rust
Later, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!